Maybe can't avoid an RV HF rig but which? -Tried remote, but...

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by KX4QC, Oct 11, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: l-gcopper
ad: abrind-2
ad: l-BCInc
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. W7HV

W7HV Ham Member QRZ Page

I haven't been following along in this thread, but FWIW, I'd likely go with an Elecraft KX3. Excellent performance and unparalleled versatility with its available options (panadapter, 100W amp...) but certainly not the most budget friendly solution. With the panadapter and amp, it makes and excellent base station for the RV, but also very easy to take hiking for portable use, hilltoping, etc.. The KX3 itself can be had with an internal wide range ATU which is great for matching makeshift antennas you might use hiking, backpacking, otherwise traveling. The 100W amp can also be had with a wide range ATU. The accessories are designed for it and are basically plug-and-play. It's all built in the USA, if that matters to you.

2. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

When operating portable I tend to place more emphasis on carrying an antenna I can tune w/o a tuner. I'm getting so good at erecting my ATAS-25 that I almost don't even require an analyzer! If I am carrying everything in my vehicle to my portable operating point a larger radio, battery, and antenna tuner are OK.....but if hiking in I prefer to keep it compact and as light as possible. I break it down this way:
    Long hike - MTR3B, ear buds, mini-key, ATAS-25
    Short hike- FT-817, better ear muffs, mini-key, microphone, ATAS-25
    Vehicle trip only - FT-891, ATU, better muffs, good Iambic key, microphone, good sized battery, 20' extendable pole and tripod with various wire antennas, cooler for beverages and snacks!

I could possible get by with a KX2 or possibly KX3 but the above transceivers give me optimum performance for each of the three conditions.

KN4OMH likes this.