ad: M2Ant-1

Maybe can't avoid an RV HF rig but which? -Tried remote, but...

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by KX4QC, Oct 11, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. KX4QC

KX4QC Ham Member QRZ Page

Just had a delightful month RV-bumming round Chesapeake Bay. (Highly recommended!) I used cellphone hotspot internet access or any ISP available. In the few locations that the service was good and actually permitted the Icom RS-BA1_v2 ports and D-Star, it all worked well. However, in most rural parts, cell phone service and internet access is still so poor that remote operation was either unsatisfactory or impossible.
    I'd hoped to save dollars and have convenient use of my base station while on the road. Bah!

So what are the up-to-date thoughts for a mobile HF/6 rig and antenna for RV touring?
    Initial thoughts:
    Elecraft KX-3? Icom IC-705? Others?
    Antenna? Wire and tree? Tarheel? Loop?

73, John KX4QC

2. KU3X

KU3X Ham Member QRZ Page

If you are well versed on QRP, than I'd go with either a KX2 or KX3. I also have an IC 703 and really like it. Since space is usually at a premium when it comes to camping or RV'g, I'd go with the KX2.
    If you are not already an avid QRP'r, you may be making a bad choice by focusing on low power operating.
    I'd suggest getting an IC7300.
    Antennas? Simple.....make a simple resonant dipole and feed it with some RG 8X. Focus on either 20 or 40 meters.

Good luck,
    Barry, KU3X

US7IGN likes this.
  3. KL7KN

KL7KN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Want to use it parked? Or on the road? What RV are you using Class A, B or C?

With a bit more information, you may get some specific ideas that others use.

4. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Just returned from a week camping in a state park. While the site had electricity there was no internet or cell phone service available. Worked mostly FT-8. I have a number of rigs that I have tried over the last few years from the FT-891, Ft-450D, KX-3 etc. The rig I enjoy operating the most is the Kenwood TS-480 with a end fed vertical supported by a fiberglass mast attached to the spare tire holder on the camper. QRP is fine if you need to resort to battery power if the site has no electricty. Most of the parks I frequent do have electicity and I prefer the higher powered rigs.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

US7IGN, W7EDC and K0UO like this.
  5. W1GHD

W1GHD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

My go-box is ideal for camping. With a Kenwood TS-480SAT and Yaesu 7800R, I’ve got most bands covered.

I carry a 25’ flagpole with drive-on mount, which holds my VHF/UHF ground plane and can hold up one end of a wire antenna. In this picture from last month, I’m operating from the motorhome using my 135’ end-fed that I managed to get 40’ up into the trees.

98C80A38-9C54-47CF-9C41-76509BB790E3.jpeg

KA2CZU, US7IGN, W7EDC and 2 others like this.
  6. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

True, Remote HF with a cellphone still sucks in many areas of the U.S> Go with any good 100 watt rig and a dipole or end-feed on a pushup fiberglass pole tied to the ladder. Run the HF rig off of the 12volt DC system in the RV. Then HF RVing is fun

I have made 1000s of QSOs that way and an easy set in 10 mins

Last edited: Oct 12, 2020
    KA2CZU, US7IGN and K3XR like this.
  7. K7OFG

K7OFG Ham Member QRZ Page

I used an Icom-7200 with an IT-100 ldg tuner for about 6 years in my Pleasureway van RV and decided I wanted something smaller so went with a Yeasu FT-891 as I wanted to be able to mount it to use mobile. Very happy with it so far. I'm not a QRP kind of guy.

8. KX4QC

KX4QC Ham Member QRZ Page

More details were required: The RV is a 38' travel trailer, and I intend to operate parked. We use RV site power, and sometimes generator, and sometimes 2 x marine deep cycle batteries. Maybe therefore 12v supply to the rig would be best as it keeps all power options open. I'm not so into QRP, though it's fun to try on occasion. Maybe we'd do well with a IC-7300? Better ides?

WA4SIX likes this.
  9. WA4SIX

WA4SIX Ham Member QRZ Page

You could do a heck of a lot worse than a 7300. Seems to be the go to rig, lately.

Ed

10. K8HIT

K8HIT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I just picked up a IC-705 and the LC-192 back pack to use while RVing.

I'm working with the Comet HFJ-350 toy box antenna. When the Icom magnetic loop becomes available late next month I'll get one of those.

At some point I'll buy a pushup mast anchored by a wheel of the RV. That will open up my antenna options.

For power I have a Astron SS-10 and a 5 amp hour lithium battery. We always camp where shore power is available, even though we have a genset.

I see a Icom tuner in my future and possibly a small amp. There will be lot's of products available to compliment the IC-705 and its portable nature.