ad: w5yi

Max Legal Power

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W0DZ, Oct 30, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

For "MB:"

What's your callsign?

I'd like to run some HF-CW with you and test the "low, short, random wire with tuner" theory.

In my experience, 37 years of HF DXing, it is very possible to work everything one hears with a low, short, random wire, using 100W maximum output; however, what can be heard is very, very limited compared with using real antennas.

Let's get on the air and see how it works out-?

WB2WIK/6

2. W5ATX

W5ATX Guest

MB is correct about the oil changes. Every oil change is a few cents in some sheik's pocket, and I would prefer they have as little of my money as possible. But just for the sake of telling everyone, I have a 1990 Mazda 626. Today I saw 256,700 go by on the odometer. I change the filter fairly often - every 10k or so, and the oil nearly never. But I am on timing belt #6, and the car starts every morning and carries me 27 miles to work - all before 6am. Finances here require that the car last until I retire, three years from next month. I think the car will do another 60,000miles to get me to that point, but . . . who really knows?

The oil folks have everyone bamboozled and they're doing quite well on it.

Good luck,

Chris

3. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Steve, so far MB hasn't answered your question as to what his call sign actually is.

I did a search of the last name Beers and found only two that are in California, one in Nevada, and one in Oregon. Those are as follows:

WB7EHN Robert Beers Las Vegas, Nevada

KA7VBL Thomas Beers Medford, Oregon

K6ERQ William A. Beers Ferndale, California

KD6BNG William E. Beers Roseville, California

There are only two in the United States with the first name beginning with "M":

WB8YEW Marilyn Beers Fostoria, Ohio

KA9ZRZ Mike Beers, Richland, Mississippi

There are no Matt Beers, Matthew Beers, or even a Beers with a middle name starting with "M" that I can find. Now, there is a possibility that the search engine didn't find the name. I also checked my latest QRZ.com CDROM Callbook. But, I am curious as to what Mr. Beers callsign really is.

Glen, K9STH

4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

MB, I'd still like to know who you are.

"Northern California" means different things to different people, and to us down here in L.A., it starts around San Luis Obispo, I think! To folks in Eureka, they probably consider Sacramento "Central."

But anyway, there are places in Santa Clara County (high priced spread) without unreasonable tower restrictions, for sure. My friend John N6JL has a very large, motorized tower in the Santa Cruz Mountains, around Los Gatos, and of course there's tons of towers on the Peninsula including some pretty pricey areas from Palo Alto to the city by the Bay...not to mention northwards, Petaluma, Santa Rosa, etc. A lot of powerful big-gun DXers live up in them thar' parts, and real estate there, as you know, sure ain't chicken feed.

Of course, a pile of money can probably buy a permit almost anywhere...

As for the oil changes, indeed the American public has been successfully duped on this and a wide range of other subjects. My XYL, about as mechanically inclined as the dog (I won't say "the cat," who actually is very mechanically inclined), believes that at 3,001 miles her engine will blow up without an oil change. I don't know if her car dealer told her that, or Jiffy Lube.

My Volvo has 297,600 miles on it, I change the oil religiously about once a year or so if I remember. I must admit, the engine's been out. That's because I've done so much hard driving over bumpy roads the motor mounts finally failed and had to be replaced.

When I asked my Volvo dealer about getting a "High Mileage Club" badge for the grill (I see some Volvos have those, and they're neat), he laughs at me because you need to have 500,000 miles before you can join the club. Rats.

WB2WIK/6

5. Guest

Guest Guest

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (K9STH @ Nov. 01 2002,15:12)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">There are no Matt Beers, Matthew Beers, or even a Beers with a middle name starting with &quot;M&quot; that I can find.  Now, there is a possibility that the search engine didn't find the name.  I also checked my latest QRZ.com CDROM Callbook.  But, I am curious as to what Mr. Beers callsign really is.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Does this really matter? So he provides a call sign, does that really provide any further authentication? I assert that it doesn't.

Honestly guys, who really cares.

6. K9STH

My Mazda Protoge' (2nd one that I have owned), according to the owner's manual, doesn't need an oil change for at least 7,500 miles. My eldest daughter owned one when they were still the 323, and it was the same back then.

Until the warranty ran out, I did make sure that I got the oil changed before the 7,500 mark. But, now that the warranty is no longer in effect, I'm not that particular.

Two of my eldest daughter's three Miatas have over 160,000 miles on them and are still going strong. I know that she isn't that careful about getting the oil changed. She drives about 60 miles each way to work every day plus drives all around as well.

I do know that the oil change places try to tell you that you must have your oil changed either after 3000 miles or 60 days! Of course, they definitely like emptying your wallet along with the old oil!

Glen, K9STH

7. K9STH

For NCR:

Actually, it really does matter to know that you are &quot;conversing&quot; with a real person and not with a pseudonym that could be anyone. I don't care if he has a valid amateur license or not. But, the fact that he is making out like he does have a license, then he should be willing to post what it is. If he doesn't, then he needs to admit the fact and carry on from there.

There have been a few people banned from QRZ.com for good reason who have tried to get back on using pseudonyms. For the most part, if they behave themselves, then there is no reason for the staff to really go looking for them to ban them again. But, after a period of time, those who have been banned before start acting as they did before and end up getting banned again. Then, the staff starts looking very closely for a while at newcomers who do not use a vaild amateur license as part of their i.d.

Frankly, it is my personal opinion that everyone who posts on this site should use their actual amateur radio call if they have one and their real name if they are not licensed. However, Fred Lloyd, the owner of QRZ.com has seen fit to allow pseudonyms so long as those who use them do not cause problems. Since this is his site, and I am only one of the moderators, I have to honor this.

If an amateur radio operator is not willing to give his call sign, then that usually means that he/she has something to hide. I am proud of my call and I think that the vast majority of amateurs are proud of their calls as well. Thus, when the person is not willing to give their call sign, then something is usually amiss.

Glen, K9STH

8. KC5NYO

KC5NYO Ham Member QRZ Page

If an amateur radio operator is not willing to give his call sign, then that usually means that he/she has something to hide.....

Yeah, usually just their privacy &amp; personal life maybe? Sorry Glen, can't agree with you on this one. I don't think I've ever seen more commotion made about anonymous posts than on these boards. And I've been on the 'net since '95. I guess it can be attributed it to the doofus troublemakers that had their way some time back, although even then, just simply ignoring them would have sufficed.

Not that there is total anonimity on the web, but usernames are a well established protocol in Internet discussion forums. I have no problem posting with my callsign, but I also respect someone elses decision to not post with it. As stated above, it doesn't matter. What's contained in the post is the same, with or without a callsign or real name.

BTW, you do a great job of elmering on the boards. I've learned a lot from your posts, thanks.    [​IMG]

73, Mike
    kc5nyo

9. N0PU

N0PU Guest

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (K9STH @ Nov. 01 2002,16:12)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">KD6BNG William E. Beers Roseville, California[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Roseville is right next to Sacto...
    and he admits to being close to Sacto...

There is your answer...

Harry N0PU

10. K7ADB

K7ADB Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (N0PU @ Nov. 01 2002,17:54)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (K9STH @ Nov. 01 2002,16:12)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">KD6BNG  William E. Beers Roseville, California[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Roseville is right next to Sacto...
    and he admits to being close to Sacto...

There is your answer...

Harry N0PU[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I hope not! KD6BNG is only a technician. If he's operating on the HF bands... Well... Not a good thing. I live not far from there. I can drive by and see if I see any antennas but does it really matter?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.