Mating iMac Pro to IC7410 & Signalink USB

Discussion in 'OS: Mac OS' started by WU7X, May 20, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. WU7X

WU7X XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Still having problems. The driver doesn't seem to be installing properly. I downloaded the one described above and opened and installed it using the same methodology as for the FL programs. The radio is connected to the computer via USB port. I have been able to download both the FLrig and FLdigi programs (having first turned security off to do so, then turning it back on) and can see them on the screen. I can play around with the configuration in each.

There are two really nice Utube programs that actually show integrating and IC7100 radio to a Mac. Both parts we are interested in start around minute 26.

AmateurLogic 86 which discusses connecting FLrig
    AmateurLogic 87 which discusses connecting FLdigi

When I get to the primary config screen, I can set up both the rig: IC7410 and the baud rate: 19200, but the driver (Silicon Labs VCP) doesn't show up. What choices I have are either NONE or a /dev/cu.Bluetooth-Incoming-Port or a /dev/tty.Bluetooth-Incoming-Port neither of which works.

How do I get the Silicon Labs driver to show up on the list. In the Utube tutorial, it does show up.

What am I doing wrong on the Mac so that the driver isn't showing up?

2. K3DCW

K3DCW QRZ Lifetime Member #212 Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

It sounds like your Silicon Labs driver was not correctly installed.

1) Unplug the USB cable from the rig; not just power the rig down but also remove the cable. The driver won't install correctly if the hub in the rig is connected to the Mac.

2) Make sure you download the correct driver (http://www.silabs.com/Support Documents/Software/Mac_OSX_VCP_Driver.zip)

3) Unzip the file (if you don't have Safari doing it automatically) to get to the DMG file. Open the DMG file and run the Silicon Labs VCP Driver.pkg file

4) When installation is complete, reboot

5) Open the terminal (Applications/Utilities). Type

cd /dev

6) Now plug in the USB cable and power on the rig. Wait about 10 seconds

7) In the terminal window, type

ls cu.*

You should see a device named something like "cu.SLAB_USBtoUART", probably with a number after it. That is your device.

8) Now check the Sound Preferences in the System Preferences pane. You should have an USB Audio CODEC. This will be your audio device.

9) Now, simply start Fldigi and do all of your configuration.

3. WU7X

THANK YOU!

Perfect walkthrough description. I will give it a try when I get back home.

Dale

4. WU7X

Nope, Mac loads up the driver, but i can't find it. Same issues. i've tried a dozen times and dozen iterations. Will keep working on this. The funny thing is that the USB cable must be doing something right as I see and sometimes can copy very faint PSK31 signals on FLdigi. But no cu.slab_usbtouart ever shows up.

5. K3DCW

K3DCW QRZ Lifetime Member #212 Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

You made sure to disconnect the USB cable when installing the driver, right? I'm not talking about the USB cable to the SignaLink (take the SignaLink completely out of the picture as it is unnecessary), I'm talking about the USB cable between the Mac and the rig.

Do you have the rig powered up when trying to connect?

Are you connecting the USB cable between the rig and the Mac directly, or via some kind of hub? If a hub, is it a powered hub?

6. WU7X

'Thanks for sticking with me on this.
    1. I made the mistake of attempting it with the cable connected and the radio on. Stopped, undid everything and retried again, and again.The Signalink is totally out of the picture.
    2. I turn the rig on when I have the driver installed and the USB cable connecting the radio to the Mac.
    3. Connections are direct.

Question: How do I locate the installed driver(s) and delete them? I want to do this to insure that I can get a really clean installation the next time I try it. Yes, I am that much of a beginner on Macs. Drivers are not considered apps, right?

7. K3DCW

There is an uninstall script included with the driver download.

8. WU7X

O.K., just unintalled the driver, turned off the computer, and then rewent through everything again. This is what I see in the terminal window after your step 7:

Last login: Tue May 24 13:08:38 on console

iMac:~ daleavery$ cd /dev

iMac:dev daleavery$ ls cu.*

cu.Bluetooth-Incoming-Port

iMac:dev daleavery$

I am doing something wrong still not getting the Silicon Labs driver loaded. I always see that Bluetooth-incoming-port statement on both FL programs. No SLAB(etc).
    I will try it again.....

9. WU7X

Here is the latest issue: I paste this into terminal from the uninstaller.sh document.

#!/bin/bash

if [ -d /System/Library/Extensions/SiLabsUSBDriver.kext ]; then
    sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/SiLabsUSBDriver.kext
    fi

if [ -d /System/Library/Extensions/SiLabsUSBDriver64.kext ]; then
    sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/SiLabsUSBDriver64.kext
    fi

if [ -d /Library/Extensions/SiLabsUSBDriverYos.kext ]; then
    sudo rm -rf /Library/Extensions/SiLabsUSBDriverYos.kext
    fi

if [ -d /Library/Extensions/SiLabsUSBDriver.kext ]; then
    sudo rm -rf /Library/Extensions/SiLabsUSBDriver.kext
    fi

So far, so good.
    When I hit the enter key, this is what pops up with nothing happening:

Last login: Tue May 24 13:20:50 on ttys000

iMac:~ daleavery$ #!/bin/bash

iMac:~ daleavery$

iMac:~ daleavery$ if [ -d /System/Library/Extensions/SiLabsUSBDriver.kext ]; then

> sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/SiLabsUSBDriver.kext

> fi

iMac:~ daleavery$ if [ -d /System/Library/Extensions/SiLabsUSBDriver64.kext ]; then

> sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/SiLabsUSBDriver64.kext

> fi

iMac:~ daleavery$ if [ -d /Library/Extensions/SiLabsUSBDriverYos.kext ]; then

> sudo rm -rf /Library/Extensions/SiLabsUSBDriverYos.kext

> fi

iMac:~ daleavery$ if [ -d /Library/Extensions/SiLabsUSBDriver.kext ]; then

> sudo rm -rf /Library/Extensions/SiLabsUSBDriver.kext

> fi

Originally, it has asked for my password. There was a key symbol on the screen. I couldn't figure out how to enter my password. Tried highlighting the line, but nothing would type in. Any ideas? And thanks again for your time.

Dale

10. WU7X

I have another question: I just reopened the Silicon Labs VCP Driver Install Disk, I click on the slabs vcp driver.pkg icon, and what it tells me after installing is that I have installed the CP210XVCPinstaller. So looks like that dmg is giving me the installer not the driver. Where on the Mac can I now find the installed installer? This is getting crazy! That is probably why I'm not finding the driver when I type in ls cu.* in the terminal; the blue tooth drivers show up but no slabs driver.