Mating iMac Pro to IC7410 & Signalink USB

Discussion in 'OS: Mac OS' started by WU7X, May 20, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. WU7X

WU7X XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I am slowly getting back into ham radio after a long period away from it. I've switched from Windows to Mac in the meantime and am putting a new station together. The iMac is running a 3.2 gig Intel Core i5 processor with 24 gis of ram. The Icom is new in box, along with an AH4 tuner that will be mounted under a new ZeroFive 43' vertical ground plane. The Signalink USB is several years old and has cabling for my TS480HX. Thats the hardware side.

I know I have to reset the jumpers in the Signalink to work with the Icom. that's easy. I will be ordering a 13 pin cable from Signalink to run between it and the radio.

Questions:

1. Do I also need a new driver from Signalink?
    2. Under Windows I used Commcat software and loved it. So what software works best for DXing, logging, and using the digital modes?
    3. Can I run a USB connector directly from the 7410's port to the Signalink rather than to the Mac? Or do I have to use one for each to the computer to both control the radio and use the digital tx/rx capabilities?
    4. How good are the manuals that come with Mac ham software these days? I realize that I have an analog mind in a digital world and need all the clear help I can get.

Thanks in advance!

Dale WU7X

2. WU7X

Forgot to add that OS is El Capitan.

3. K3DCW

K3DCW QRZ Lifetime Member #212 Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Dale,

Lots of good questions; let me answer what I can.

1) No need for drivers for SignaLink...it just plugs in and is recognized as an USB sound device by OS X.

2) There are lots of software packages out there. See below for more info

3) The 7410 doesn't actually need the SignaLink, unless you want to use it. The USB port on the 7410 can be connected directly to the Mac and can provide both Audio and CAT control over the one cable. You'll need to install the drivers from Silicon Labs (http://www.silabs.com/products/mcu/pages/usbtouartbridgevcpdrivers.aspx) but once installed your rig will appear as both a sound device and a CAT port. Setup will be very similar to the 9100, as described in this article (http://www.machamradio.com/blog/2014/12/16-icom-ic-9100-digital-modes-over-usb-setup-guide)

4) Manuals? We don't need no stinking manuals. :) Seriously, I don't know of any software these days that come with (paper) manuals, although nearly everything has good online (or PDF) manuals available.

Now, for software. For digital modes there are two main programs on OS X: cocoaModem and Fldigi. CocoaModem hasn't been developed in a few years, but still works. In some ways it is pretty good, but it is really behind the times now in terms of modes and features. Fldigi is not as "Mac-like" as it is a cross-platform program, but it works well on OS X, has lots of modern features such as RSID, supports more modes than anything else out there, and is under constant maintenance/development. I strongly recommend Fldigi for digital modes.

Fldigi can also do logging and CAT control of your rig. However, most people prefer using a separate Logbook program to do CAT control and storage/analysis of your log. There are three main programs in use on OS X: RUMlogNG, Aether, and MacLoggerDX. All three have free trials, although if you decide to stick with them, Aether costs $39 while MLDX costs $95. All three are EXCELLENT logbooks and all three have their own strengths. I recommend you try out all three and find the one you like the most.

Links to all of the software mentioned here can be found at http://www.machamradio.com/links/

4. WU7X

Thank you so much for your reply! Answer #3 really resonates with me. I want to keep this whole system as simple and spartan as possible. The idea of one HF radio, one power supply, one computer with proper software, and a relatively simple vertical antenna with a tuner at its feedpoint is what I am shooting at. I really like the Machamradio site! Lots of good info there. Once I have everything installed, I will try to contact you here on QRZ or machamradio to help me further with any technical issues that may arise.

My goal for the new station is to do a low power (100w or less) WAS and DXCC. I did 266 worked 223 confirmed,etc., using high power and yagis. But it got boring and I dropped out several years ago. All the new digital modes and low power hopefully will fire me up again.

Thanks again for your answers! In my analog style, I'm printing them out, hi hi.

Dale
    WU7X

5. WU7X

Well, have the radio setup, connected the USB port and downloaded the driver.
    1. How do I know if the driver is functioning?
    2. The set mode numbers are different between the 9100 and the 7410. Here is my guesstimate of how they correlate. Can anyone tell me if this is right or wrong.

56 ? is that 39 USB MOD Level?
    57 OFF = 38 USB Audio SQL (Default: off(open))
    58 MIC = 40 Data OFF MOD (Default: Mic, ACC)
    59 USB = 41 Data MOD (Default: ACC)
    60 19200 = 42 CI-V Baud Rate (Default: Auto)
    61 7Ch = 43 CI-V Address (Default: 80h)
    62 OFF = 44 CI-V Transceive (Default: On)
    63 DVdat = ??
    64 RTTY = 45 RTTY Decode Baud (Default: 9600)
    65 OFF = 47? Calibration Marker (Default: OFF)

I'm not clear what 56 is supposed to do. I set it at 24%
    65 Am I supposed to have the calibration Marker off as 47 does on the 7410?

When I tried to down load FLdigi I couldn't open it because it didn't have a signature, or something to that effect, that kept me from loading the software onto my iMac Pro. Is there a way to get around this?

6. K3DCW

K3DCW QRZ Lifetime Member #212 Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I'll let someone with an Icom respond to the question about the settings.

As far as Fldigi, once you've opened the DMG and placed the .app file in your Applications folder, then you'll need to right-click on it one time and choose "Open". It will ask you if you're sure, say yes. Once you do that the first time, it won't ask you again.

7. WU7X

This is the box that shows

Your security preferences allow installation of only apps from the Mac App Store and identified developers.

Your security preferences allow installation of only apps from the Mac App Store and identified developers.
    “fllog-” is on the disk image “fllog-1.2.4.02_i386 (3).dmg”. Google Chrome downloaded this disk image today at 10:48 PM from pilotfiber.dl.sourceforge.net.

8. K3DCW

First of all, you don't run Fllog from the DMG. Sounds like you may really want to take some time and read this: http://www.imore.com/how-install-third-party-apps-your-mac

Once you open the DMG file, you have to drag the Fllog file to your Applications folder. Once there, go to finder, go to your Applications folder, right click on the Fllog app and select Open. It will ask you if you want to open this even though it isn't signed. Say yes, and you're good to go.

9. WU7X

I am still doing something wrong. All that downloads is the logbook. Any ideas?

10. K3DCW

What are you trying to download? If you download Fllog, that's just a logbook program; one that is primarily used for networked logging situations and isn't necessary for most users? Fldigi contains a logbook tool that is usually all that you need to logging digital QSOs.

Each part of the Fl* suite is independent, so if you want Fldigi, then you need to specifically download Fldigi. The current stable version can be downloaded from https://sourceforge.net/projects/fldigi/files/fldigi/fldigi-3.23.09_i386.dmg/download

If you want Flrig (more detailed rig control than Fldigi provides), it can be downloaded from https://sourceforge.net/projects/fldigi/files/flrig/flrig-1.3.25_i386.dmg/download

Fllog, Flmsg, Flwkey, Flnet, Flwrap, Flamp and more are all extra programs that can be added to the mix. Brief explanations of each can be found at http://www.w1hkj.com/

Another key note: When looking at Fldigi(et al), you will see a variety of version numbers. Any Fl* program with a version number consisting of 3 digits (3.23.09, for example) is a "release" and "stable" version. Any version with four digits (3.23.10.12, for example) is an alpha version and likely has bugs or other issues. I strongly recommend you stick with the stable versions until you get comfortable working with the Fl* programs.

Finally, for anyone using Fl* on OS X (or Linux), I strongly recommend subscribing to the LinuxHam mailing list on Yahoo Groups. That mailing list is the official support mail list for the entire Fl* suite on both Linux and OS X. There are quite a few OS X users (and developers) on the list that can offer all kinds of advice and guidance to new users of the Fl* suite on OS X.

WU7X likes this.