Mast ideas

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by KY4CQ, Oct 14, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KY4CQ

KY4CQ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

My new house has a big enough lot that I’m debating putting up a 40 meter OCFD. I mostly work 40 and 20, so in theory I need about 33 feet of height to be effective. I have no trees in my back yard, and the one in my front yard isn’t tall enough yet. So I’ve looked at putting up two masts and running it diagonally across my lot. Does anyone have any ideas on what I could use that would give me enough height to be effective and still be sturdy enough to not fall with the first thunderstorm?

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Lots of things will work.

If you can support one end at your house and the other end in the yard, then a 40' mast bracketed to the house at one and and a similar 40' mast supported by guy lines at the other end would be pretty easy.

A couple of Rohn H50 telescoping masts would do this. Or even ten of the interlocking aluminum Army surplus masts sold by The Mast Company (they're light, they're inexpensive, but amazingly strong) at each end.

There are lightweight fibreglas telescoping masts available, but they're definitely not my preference -- especially compared with aluminum tubing which is almost as light weight but far stronger and don't flex.

3. K1VW

K1VW Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I got some nice pieces of schedule 40 galvanized steel pipe I brought home from the dump, probably 2.5” OD. I thought I had a great prize, rugged and didn’t seem too heavy as individual pieces. I welded a couple of pieces together to make it 24’, wow, it’s pretty heavy now. I had planned to go for 32 or 36 feet, and then a mast, rotor, and beam bracketed to my house. I decided it was a much bigger rigging project than I expected. The H50 push up mast seems like a better idea.

4. K7MEM

K7MEM Ham Member QRZ Page

You might also consider a vertical. My property is much like yours. Big enough to support some good antennas. but nothing I could use to string a horizontal wire. I have had towers and masts before, but didn't want all that work any more. So I went for a ground mounted 43' vertical with a bunch of radials. It has a 4:1 Balun at the feed point. Right now I only have 16 radials, but I will expand that to 32 radials, when I get the time. I use rope guys at 20' but that's because I don't use any concrete at the feed point. The guys, radials, and feed line don't cause any issues with mowing the yard.

My 43' vertical was designed to operate 160 to 6 Meters when used with a tuner. It tunes easily on 40 to 6 Meters .The SWR is a little high on 160M and 80M, but usable. But I expected that. I may try a loading coil to get the SWR better, but I don't really use those bands much.

5. W3TKB

W3TKB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have an 107' long inverted L antenna; the feed point is at the base of a 12m (40 ft) Spiderbeam telescoping fiberglass mast. The mast is clamped against the side of a wood shed in three spots along the bottom two sections of pole. The mast is also guyed at about 20 feet, but to be honest I don't really think the guy lines are adding much to the stability of the mast. All of the flexing and swaying during any winds has occurred in the top few mast sections, which are the smallest in diameter.

The antenna wire runs up to the top of the mast before going horizontal to a tree in my yard. There is a bit of bend/droop in the top section of mast from the weight of the suspended wire, but not much.

Depending on how you want to string your OCFD, you could probably use at least one fiberglass mast like the Spiderbeam clamped to the side of your house, and that would be sufficient for support at that end. You didn't mention if you have a single level or two story house, but if it was the latter and you could clamp the fiberglass mast near the base and then again at the 15-18 foot height, that should be sufficient to support a wire.

Brando

6. W7FOX

W7FOX Ham Member QRZ Page

I've had good luck using chain link top rail that comes in 21 foot lengths. One and a half pieces (about 30 feet) goes up pretty easily, but two full lengths is like trying to stand a wet noodle on end. This is what I am using now, its mounted on a porch roof and the top is 50 feet high. I used a temporary gin pole to get it up and guyed. I've had a similar one up for 30 years with no maintenance. For a more deluxe version, I think aluminum tubing would be the way to go. I haven't designed it yet, but it should be possible to make it light and stiff enough to just walk-up and tighten the guys.

N8TGQ likes this.
  7. WB5YUZ

WB5YUZ Ham Member QRZ Page

This is definitely what I would use. It's hard to get to 40' with a home-made mast (although people have done it). But with two of these you can do it, for only a little more money than it takes to build a home-made mast.

Even so, if you want to work DX on any modes other than FT 8, you will probably want a vertical for the bands 40m and longer. Even 40' isn't really enough height for a horizontal antenna intended for DX work on 40m.

8. W6NFU

W6NFU Ham Member QRZ Page

9. W6NFU

W6NFU Ham Member QRZ Page

Home Depot sells a telescoping aluminum 3-section paint pole for $38. It extends to 23'.
    Mounting this on a 10' 4X4 puts the top at 33', perfect for my Inverted Vee on 40-meters.
    The price is right and the antenna wire keeps it steady in high winds. So far, so good.

WB5YUZ likes this.
  10. KD9JIB

KD9JIB Ham Member QRZ Page

I put up what I thought would be a temporary J pole using 2 top rails. I had a dish antenna mount that I had laying around and lag screwed it into the side of the shed, tipped the pipe of it down and inserted the top rail into it. Tipping it back up to vertical was a little unwieldy but used an 8' step ladder to rest in on while using another to push it to vertical worked. Got it there and tightened the Dish bracket bolts. Been up all summer, sways a bit but steady and solid so I guess temporary is now permanent. 30' total and get the job done.

Tom
    KD9JIB