Mast as Lightning Rod

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by KD9VV, Jun 9, 2021.

ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-BCInc
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WB5THT

WB5THT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Someone earlier mentioned the ARRL book on grounding and bonding for the radio amateur - that was my Bible when I set up my dream tower and antennas. It's well worth the price.

Also I used KF7P's coax entrance panel, I highly recommend Chris for lightning protection, cable and odds and ends. Someone also mentioned words to the effect of open your wallet if you are going first class for protection. Quite true but I have thousands of dollars of antennas and equipment to protect however if my tower takes a direct strike I expect everything in and around the tower to be vaporized.

My tower is 165 feet from the house so I suspect the radio room stuff will survive a tower strike.

KC9QBY and AK5B like this.
  2. K2WH

K2WH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Those hose clamps with just blow off and disappear.

The idea is to get your grounding system to absorb or dissipate as much of the lightning energy as possible and that requires a low resistance and minimal inductance.

You say your service entrance is about 75 feet away, well, mine was also and I had to go around the house, thru gardens to get there.

What you need to do is drive multiple ground rods at about 15' intervals all the way to the service entrance and bond them all together with heavy copper strapping of wire.

Its the same as paralleling resistors, the more you parallel, the lower the resistance and that is the idea, the ground is one side of the resistor and your ground rod is the other, all paralleled to lower the ground resistance.

AK5B likes this.