Marketing email from Retevis

Discussion in 'Community Help Center' started by WB2LBV, Oct 18, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. WB2LBV

WB2LBV Ham Member QRZ Page

As the title says, I just got a marketing email from Retevis sent to my QRZ profile email. Since this address is not used anywhere else this had to be harvested from QRZ. I do not appreciate or approve this.

2. K8HIT

K8HIT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

What does the privacy policy of this site say about your dilemma? It says this will happen. You probably should not have given QRZ your email if you didn't want it used.

https://www.qrz.com/page/privacy.html

3. WB2LBV

There's no specific mention of third-party marketing being an accepted use of our profile email address. It would be nice to have an "official" statement regarding this practice.
    I also wonder how long ago that privacy policy was written and if it needs to be updated. Given the fact that our profile email addresses are only visible to registered, logged-in QRZ ham members I don't think they should be considered publicly available information.

4. K8HIT

K8HIT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Privacy policy is general, opposed to specific examples, but as I read it I see where this is an acceptable use.

5. WB2LBV

Following up on this-
    I submitted a support ticket and was assured that QRZ policy is that they do NOT share our private email addresses with anyone and this should not happen. They looked into it and it did turn out that someone at Retevis was using this information inappropriately, and this has been dealt with.
    So the takeaway here is that if you do receive any advertising/marketing email that is directed to your QRZ address, and if that address is unique and not used anywhere else, you should report it.

KJ4VTH likes this.