Mark V Gain Oil

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by NI7I, Sep 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. W7MRN

W7MRN Ham Member QRZ Page

You should also be looking into the Radialator™ antenna. Very stealthy, no tower needed, as it uses no above-ground elements due to its advanced back-folded direct-buried element system comprised entirely of reverse-end-fed wires. Column-charge coupling to nearby copper irrigation systems is possible with proper placement for extra gain above the normal 8 dB, but your radiation pattern may be affected when the sprinklers are running. For those situations, a generous application of Mark V to your lawn over the Radialator™ will usually increase gain by another 4dB.

2. KJ4LZU

KJ4LZU Ham Member QRZ Page

Overseas Market - Mark V Gain Oil?

I'm not very experienced with this product but I ordered some on Ebay because I heard a lot about it on this forum. I got a terrific deal but when it arrived, I tried to read the instruction and they were printed in Chinese!! It was bottled in a plastic jug. The fluid was very syrupy and it smelled like fish. Did I get a "knock off" or is this the real thing?

3. AB8MA

AB8MA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You got fish oil, unfortunately. Not bad generally, but the Mercury will be a problem.

4. NI7I

NI7I Guest

Most definitely a knock off. Gain oil was first made by the predicessor of the CIA and was one of the ways they paid thier overhead during the cold war. It was supplied to the military, mostly Navy and USMC. The real thing has the consistency of salad oil.

Lee
    NI7I

5. KI6J

KI6J Ham Member QRZ Page

Before I go searching: How long does a soaking last? Can I store the soaked rope and use it later? Can I work 30m at 100w with a soaked cotton sewing thread?
    Stu

6. NI7I

NI7I Guest

You could but with a hundred watts, I would probably braid at least 3 strands and make sure that it's cotton. Synthetics produce unpredictable results. There are charts available that show relationships of specific materials/thickness and time required for soaking. Stowing a soaked length of line in plastic baghs, well sealed would work.

Aboard ship we once used a 3 inch manila morring line. About 80 feet. We couldnt soak it as we didnt have a suitable container. We used a pump spray to coat it as best we could. Using the exciter of our Mackay sideband xmtr (about 25 mw) we managed 500kc cw contact from the bottom of the red sea to npn in Kodiak, i believe. the Kodiak op said he had to put in about 15db of atenuation on to avoid overloading his rx. This was done in the early pm red sea time.

Lee
    NI7I

7. W6ECE

W6ECE Ham Member QRZ Page

Is it April already? I want my Fall and Winter back!

8. K2QI

K2QI Ham Member QRZ Page

You guys are silly.

Everyone knows the mark V is nothing more than mark IV with a little nitroglycerin added.

Quit wasting your money. :rolleyes:

9. KB1NXE

KB1NXE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The Mark V will also give you twice as many Bird Watts over the Mark IV. I also noticed the plate voltage on my Dave Made is roughly a third what it normally is. Down to 6500 volts at 2 amps.

The Mark V has a greater propensity to absorb and hold electrons making it a better receiving antenna, This is known as the Black Hole effect and was discovered in the Large Hadron Collider just before the cold solder joint shut it down.

10. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey, I like FOOOOMs.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.