Mark V Gain Oil

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by NI7I, Sep 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. NI7I

NI7I Guest

I just recieved my first 5 gal jug and am quite impressed. Soaking a 15 foot length of manila line overnight gave me aproximately 20 db gain over my wire dipole up about 35 feet. I'm almost afraid to go with a longer length of rope or soaking it more than 12 hours. Quite remarkable considering the cost (about 25 bux per 55 gal drum, if you can find it at a military surplus store).

Does anybody know what improvement the mark V is over mark IV?

Lee
    NI7I

2. M0DSZ

M0DSZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't know the answer to that question but adding a little ethyl alcohol to the oil will give an immediate improvement over the figures you have quoted. This could be useful but it's only a short-term gain. Be prepared for an actual loss some time afterwards which could only be restored by hand-massaging more oil into the rope.

3. N0SYA

N0SYA Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah, they mentioned this on the 27.025 net last night.

4. AI3V

AI3V Ham Member QRZ Page

What fortuitous timing! I'm just about out of my last jug of mark IV.

I am getting exactly 12.3485736 db gain with the mark IV.

I suppose they have solved the spontaneous combustion problem?

Rege

5. KR2D

KR2D Ham Member QRZ Page

Unfortunately, they have not solved that problem. The product can only be used in an atmosphere of pure Argon. Otherwise, .... FOOOOM! :eek:

6. NI7I

NI7I Guest

I first used mark III while in the navy and, while the antennas themselves never presented a problem,the drums had to be stored in containers charged with nitrogen. The Mark V is inert. They must have solved that problem. It was used n lifeboat survival radios. I have a Mackay Lifeboat radio and a 2 liter container is included. I note that there is a caution label on that container warning against human consumption. Although it isnt lethal it has some unpredictable affects on crepetation. In an open boat this may not be much of an issue. However, most lifeboats today are enclosed with very little ventelation. The passing of the gas may be uncomfortable but the other ocupants of the boat could react wih violence.

Something that concerns me is if I use an unusally large length of, say, hemp, and soak it for perhaps a week or two, will the gain be such that I will actually be able to hear my signal before I send it? If so, will the FCC issue me a notice?

Lee
    NI7I

7. NL7W

NL7W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

My "DX Spray" yagi coating will certainly give this oily mess a run for it's money... :)

8. NI7I

NI7I Guest

Kind of apples and oranges. Your spray does indeed do a fine job but one must first have a yagi. With the gain oil all you need as a relatively short length of rope. The rope can be hung out a window or just laid out on the ground. The gain is measured in "DBS" . That's decibels above a 4 el steppir properly installed. It is also good on all bands with a 1:1 match anywhere you go. I have used your spray in the past with remarkable results. However my currant location prohibits a tower.

Lee
    NI7I

9. WB4AUW

WB4AUW Ham Member QRZ Page

The mark V can also be used with a vertically polarized manila line, the mark IV only horizontal.

10. AB8MA

AB8MA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That solution provides an excellent omni-directional signal under absolutely calm conditions. Otherwise, gain favors the direction the wind is blowing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.