Marine Mobile Rig on 2m?

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by WA7F, Jul 13, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

No.

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Ham radio is 7 better than commercial, hence the Part number.

WA9SVD and N1EN like this.
  3. MRCONGENIALITY

MRCONGENIALITY QRZ Member

Why not just spend a couple hundred and get a 2m radio like a Kenwood TM-241? 2m meter antennas do not take up hardly any room, but the base plate of the antenna must connect to metal or have a counterpoise. You can even use metal railing, metal canopy rods or anything else as a counterpoise. Like many have stated, modding the radio will make it legal for one and illegal for another, plus modding it could damage a radio and then spending money to have it fixed. The simplest thing to do is to just get a 2m radio (or any radio that includes 2m) as long as you have an antenna that supports it.

Just saying... But, that would be the easiest solution.

4. WA7F

WA7F Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It’s an aluminum boat so no issues there and I actually have some 2m rigs stuffed away in my inventory somewhere. I just want to keep the weight, clutter and fly line catchers (antennas) to a minimum.

By the way mrcongeniality, that’s a nice handle but we usually use our call signs on this forum so we know who we a talking to.. No offense intended, that’s just the landscape with amateurs. By the way I’m Dave, WA7F. Congrats on the Tech ticket. What’s your call sign?

5. WA7F

It’s my understanding that ragchewing on VHF Marine is frowned upon by the coast guard. So when you catch the big tuna don’t get on channel 16 and scream PAYDAY! PAYDAY! or you might be misunderstood. :cool:

WA9SVD likes this.
  6. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

7. WA7F

8. NC5P

NC5P Ham Member QRZ Page

Some Motorola models are dual certificated so are legal in marine service. They cover 138-174 MHz without modification, just program your frequencies, PL, etc. and you're good to go.

9. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

But only 2 better than Part 95.:(

10. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Ir a radio is certificated for Marine use (§Part 90) then it is legal to ALSO use on amateur frequencies (by a licensed amateur, as long as the radio itself is capable of operating on amateur frequencies.)