ad: Amateur-1

Marine Mobile antenna question

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio' started by VE3VID, Aug 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. VE3VID

VE3VID Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi everyone

I'd like to put an antenna on my sailboat (23ft sloop). I've heard of dipoles from the top of the mast, but the stays and mast are metal so likely would interfere with the antenna. If you have a sailboat and a working antenna, I'd like to hear from you to tell what sort of antenna you use.

David

2. KJ6LFD

KJ6LFD Ham Member QRZ Page

A ham friend before I was licensed had a Yamaha 25 sloop, put insulators at the top and bottom of the backstay for HF. It was long ago and I don't remember which bands it worked well for.

3. K0BG

K0BG Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Insulated stays are the way to do it, fed with a tuner or auto-coupler. If you buy yourself a copy of the ARRL Handbook, Rudy Severns, N6LF, has a nice article about sail boar operation.

4. W9GRO

W9GRO Ham Member QRZ Page

You could also check out the SGC web site. sgcworld.com and look at SGC publications and the SG-237 product manual. They show a few different set ups. loop antennas Gary / W9GRO

5. K0BG

K0BG Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The one item SGC doesn't stress and should, is the ground connection. Most sailboats have keel grounding plates. The catamaran I'm familiar with has four—two on each hull. All of them are tied together, and every ground on the boat is connected as well. In my case, the AH4 is connected to the keels plates by about 14 inches of 2 inch wide monel. The output of the coupler uses a short braid up to the underside of the starboard stay (remember, it is a cat). The overall length of the stay is right at 60 feet, and the AH4 will tune it on 80 meters. But the truth is, it doesn't work well on 80. On the other extreme, you can made contact on 6 meters, but the pattern is no doubt full of holes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.