Marine Antenna Shakespeare 390 Antenna ground???

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by AA1ZP, Nov 27, 2021.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
  1. AA1ZP

AA1ZP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Ok, so I have this antenna. There is no PL-239 connector. It has what is called a terminating band.

So, I guess the center conductor of my Co-ax cable will attach to that. My question is how do I attach the ground of the co-ax to this antenna.

The antenna mount that is recommended is a 410-R which is insulated from ground.

2. W4HRL

W4HRL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Greetings Stu -

I thought someone would be along after a while to answer this...but it seems that no one has arrived yet.

Here's the (very) little I know about Shakespeare SSB antennas with a terminating band connection. As you noted, there is no real ground connection when you use them as a marine antenna. Looks like they are designed to be used with an ATU (antenna tuner unit) where the ATU has a PL-259 / SO-239 connection where the coax screws in. And then the ATU feeds the antenna via a single wire, connecting to the terminating band connection.

Imagine a tuner like the Icom AH-4 used with a long wire. The SSB antenna becomes the "rigid", vertical wire.

W4HRL
    Mike in Poquoson VA

KC4YDY likes this.
  3. WL7PM

WL7PM Ham Member QRZ Page

The antenna is just a long vertical " Whip", ie a semirigid, self supporting vertical.
    Not a particularly effective antenna without the OCEAN just below it.... You'll need some radials, and what is called an " Antenna Coupler" in the marine electronics world.

4. AA1ZP

5. AA1ZP

Thank you. I figured it out. It just threw me off for a few minutes. My old brain isn't as sharp as it once was. Thanks again. Stew

KC4YDY likes this.
  6. KC4YDY

KC4YDY Ham Member QRZ Page

Glad you figured it out, Stew... I was going to answer you that I am using a Shakesphere marine SSB antenna on the metal roof of my house. Used a standard marine antenna mount and made up some guy lines out of 550 cord. Used an SGC tuner and it worked great until the first rain. Then I found the issues with my metal roof! I ended up running 20 radials out across the roof and that antenna has rocked! Good luck with it!

73 de Paul, KC4YDY

7. AA1ZP

Thanks Paul,

I appreciate your help. My antenna is working very well and I am happy with it.

73 de Stew, AA1ZP

KC4YDY likes this.