Manually Programming ICOM-2730A

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KO4HNZ, May 4, 2021 at 1:42 PM.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KO4HNZ

KO4HNZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi all,

I’ve been trying my best to manually program my ICOM ic-2730a with no success. I can’t seem to get into any local repeaters.

Would any of you happen to have any suggestions or links for manually programming the ic-2730a? I’ve been going off the manual and haven’t had any success. I’ll spend the $45 for the programming cable and use chirp if I have too but I’d still like to know how to program this transceiver manually.

KO4HNZ

2. KB0MNM

KB0MNM Ham Member QRZ Page

Try starting with "icomamerica.com/ham", ( as in ):
    https://www.icomamerica.com/en/support/default.aspx
    then Support: ( which should provoke something like )
    http://icom.custhelp.com/app/answers/list/kw/IC-2730/sno/0/search/1/session/L3RpbWUvMTYyMDEzODg1MC9zaWQvREpFcHM2YXA=

I would advise looking at the "Memory Channel Programming" and regular ops manual.

As to the programming cable and software, there are folks who might save you a buck or two on the cable- yet-... There have been a number of complaints seen regarding the multiple versions of Chirp and the possibility of making a 'brick' ( locked up beyond belief ) of some radios. You may want to consider first checking with an Icom Dealer for the software price, then possibly RT Systems. I have no financial interest in RT Systems, yet understand that some folks choose both their cables and software over the OEM versions for price or features. Finally, be aware that not all USB cable converters are the same. Folks will tell you about 'counterfeit' chipsets and drivers. Beyond that, the newest operating system on the PC may be incompatible with the OEM software. Sometimes this is just a matter of using the 'DOS Box' or command line... your results may vary.

KO4HNZ likes this.
  3. KB0MNM

KB0MNM Ham Member QRZ Page

While I have your attention, most local repeaters will require two settings that you may or may not have looked at:
    1. Frequency Offset- Your transmit in frequency ( seen on the display ) should be different from your receive frequency.
    2. Tone access- Most will require a sub-audible tone to allow the 'machine' to 'gate' your transmit signal from the repeater's receiver to the repeater transmitter.
    When testing this, it is best to have a more experienced operator listen for your signal to confirm that your radio system has actual RF output at the repeater input frequency. Consider getting in touch ( over the telephone ) with folks in your local area through an amateur radio club (ARC).

KO4HNZ likes this.
  4. WB2LBV

WB2LBV Ham Member QRZ Page

For that same $45 or $50 you can get the RT cable and software. As long as you have a Windows or Mac PC available I'd highly suggest using either RT or the free Icom software rather than Chirp. The RT cable (USB29A, $25) will work with both.
    As for manual programming, it should just be a matter of setting up the channel you want in a VFO and then writing it to an available memory. I've had no problem doing this with mine although I've done most of the programming with software.
    Reasons for not being able to access a repeater can be incorrect programming as noted above, or an issue with the repeater itself. Do you know for a fact that these repeaters are active or are you going by a directory? Just because one is listed doesn't necessarily mean it's actually up and running, or that the info in the listing is accurate. A repeater could be down either temporarily or permanently, or the tone frequency may have changed, and you'd have no way of knowing those things without a heads-up from someone "in the know".

Last edited: May 4, 2021 at 4:15 PM
    KO4HNZ likes this.
  5. KO4HNZ

KO4HNZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I appreciate the feedback! At this point I think I need to just buy the cable + software and save the headache. I’m sure the issue is user error rather than equipment.

I do know that the repeaters are active - I’ve been using them without issue with my HT.

I’ll mess around a bit more tonight.