ad: M2Ant-1

Man Portable Solar Powered QRP Go Kit

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by OH8STN, Jul 25, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. AG7JQ

AG7JQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello Julian
    after LOT of troubles (my vendor failed to deliver the panel despite the adverts about free international shipping... but I got the refund)
    I got the panel from another source but final cost is 50% more... shipping + custom duties/VAT.
    So I am ready to assemble all the stuff together.... at least for testing then will be boxing it into something useable on the field.
    Thomas f4hpx/ag7jq

2. OH8STN

OH8STN Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Thomas
    I'm really sorry to hear about the vendor. Is that Flexsolar...? I just ordered a couple of cables from them. Let's see if they actually arrive.
    Julian oh8stn

3. AG7JQ

Yes, hopefully paid by Paypal so could manage the refund easily .
    I passed finally by someone else in California and my shipping address in US.

4. OH8STN

OH8STN Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks.
    I often do the same thing. Have things sent to my brother in the US and he sends them to me.
    Anyway, I'm still hoping you're going to document the kit you're puting together. Portable comms (not airchar portable) is incredibly popular topuc at the moment. Unfortunately the genre lacks practical examples from field operators.
    Actually I'm just sitting here working on a new article / project called "all weather solar powered field station". This is on an entirely different level than my casual /P comms. It's meant for extended offgrid comms for up to a week at a time.
    Anyway, it's great to hear from you and to hear the feedback about Flex.
    I'll make my some changes to my website in the coming hours.

Julian oh8stn

5. AG7JQ

yes I shall do it once done.
    Maybe not very soon because relocating (on part time) to Algeria
    - lot of sun but there are other constraints so not much portable operations to be expected.
    Thomas

6. AG7JQ

Hi Julian
    I bought a DC down-converter via Amazon from DROK pretty cheap stuff having nice multimode display and rated 5Amp out
    it has an output USB but not stabilized at 5V (carrying the same voltage as regulated on the main connector - so bad - apart if you make it regulated at 5V...) but having also charging function (although certainly not an "intelligent" one - will not vary current shape depending battery type).
    I am thinking to integrate it in my kit or even 2 of them (possibly regulated on different output voltages - depending aimed devices) .
    I connected my standard power-supply instead of solar panel and I did not notice yet any additional noise on the band tested with my FT-817.

73, Thomas