ad: Amateur-1

Man Portable Solar Powered QRP Go Kit

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by OH8STN, Jul 25, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. OH8STN

OH8STN Ham Member QRZ Page

• Panel ~200$
    • Genasun GV-5 LiFePO4 ~90$
    I think the trick to loops is getting them as big as practically possible for portable ops.
    Thanks for the questions.

2. OH8STN

About 290$ for both panel and charge controller

3. OH8STN

I wrote this blog post to augment the video. There's a lot of the "why", and also many full HD images many of the technical questions if any.
    The most amazing ham radio "training adventure" I could imagine, is being off grid, above the Arctic Circle, near a large body of fresh or saltwater, operating a field station from a tipi tent. (I'm working on the tipi tent).
    IMG_20170731_182059.jpg just a mock-up.

de oh8stn

US7IGN likes this.
  4. WJ2L

WJ2L Ham Member QRZ Page

Well done. Simplicity is genius it is said. True for qrp operations as well.

OH8STN likes this.
  5. K3LI

K3LI Ham Member QRZ Page

Yep right up to 8 hours, then the battery is useless. how do you plan to charge it if you have no power?

6. OH8STN

I guess you didn't watch the video :D
    Here's a better explanation of the battery system.
    http://oh8stn.org/blog/2017/06/28/man-portable-off-grid-power-for-amateur-radio-part-3/
    So the entire point of the system is being able to simultaneously charge and discharge, with the point of staying out in the field for extended periods of time. In the video you would see the battery pack is always deployed with the solar panel. In fact that's the whole point. Not having a paperweight to carry around once it's empty!

de oh8stn

Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
  7. US7IGN

US7IGN Ham Member QRZ Page

But how long will you be on the air, unable to charge the battery?

Even if I go somewhere on foot or on a bicycle for more than one day and sleep in a tent, it's easier and cheaper to take another battery. I'm not talking about the size and weight of the solar panel with the controller. And if I travel with the radio on the car, I can always use it battery. IMHO solar panel is still not enough effective and rational. The solar panel today is an expensive toy. If only it will be used permanently in remote areas without electrical networks.

8. KM4DYX

KM4DYX Ham Member QRZ Page

You're think in terms of ham radio as a hobby, which is what it is for most hams. Other people think in terms of emergency communications in grid-down scenarios and operating 24/7 from remote, austere locations. It's what makes us tick, for whatever reason.

You are right: the hobbyist has no need for a solar solution to enjoy the hobby. I'm one of the nut jobs who think I do.

73, Hope to "see" you on the air someday,

Al

OH8STN likes this.
  9. OH8STN

Well said!

10. F4HPX

F4HPX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hello

I trully enjoyed the video as the others you are posting on youtube channel too.
    So I ordered several of the components you are using in order to mount my own go-pack.

As I had already pretty big 22 AH LiFePo battery and, as well, several LiIon batteries for KX2 I opted for 2 different chargers as the charging voltages are not the same - they came very quickly via UPS from Genasun.
    But I am still waiting for solar panel itself (more than 3 weeks) - how long did you wait for yours ?

73 Thomas de F4HPX