ad: CQMM-1

Man Portable, RF Quiet, LiFePO4 Solar Charge Controllers for /P

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by OH8STN, Jun 18, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. OH8STN

OH8STN Ham Member QRZ Page

Julian oh8stn

W8BFX, N2NH, VA3MPG and 12 others like this.
  2. AK5B

AK5B XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I bought the Gennasun GV-10 for my 83-watt Solarex and Bioenno BLF1230---a great combination for 100-watt portable SSB in my experience.

Thanks to you as well as KC8VWM for info and recommendations on both.

Keep up the good work, Julian!

Jeff

(occasionally portable at 28 degrees North :))

W8BFX, N2NH, K4ECD and 1 other person like this.
  3. W5KV

W5KV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I’ll have to give the Genasun a try. Though my Bioenno MPPT LiFePO4 charge controller works great, zero noise issues. Thanks for the video Julian.

N2NH and AK5B like this.
  4. OH8STN

You should, they are well documented, tested and manufactured in the United States. I would have ordered the 20A MPPT from Bioenno, but it weighs in around a kilo vs the 185 gram Genasun. The Bioenno is also too large to be man portable or backpack friendly, but it's awesome if it's working for you.
    I may still order one of the Bioenno MPPT charge controllers for my home, but I have one other pack-friendly FCC, CE, ...compliant charge controller to feature on the channel before that.

Julian oh8stn

KC5JSR, K9EZ, W5KV and 1 other person like this.
  5. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

From the Genasun website...

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
    N2NH, K8XG, OH8STN and 1 other person like this.
  6. KK6PKN

KK6PKN Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey! Like this video. My set-up is somewhat related but on a smaller scale. I'm going to soon buy a three column foldable solar panel (3o watt)

See my pics if you care to . . . qrz.com

Fun isn't it!

Jesse C.
    KK6PKN

W2FUN and OH8STN like this.
  7. OH8STN

I think it's absolutely incredible where these charge controllers are being used.

KC8VWM likes this.
  8. OH8STN

ROV? I'd like that job.
    Portable power is an extremely fun topic. I've been building battery pack since I was a kid. First for my walkie talkies, later on for RC cars and copters. Now portable and off-grid power for amateur radio. Increasing capacity while reducing weight, that's been the biggest challenge over the years.
    At the moment my main interest is high current draw LiFePO4 packs (30A current draw or more), with 5-10ah capacity, augmented real-time, by a solar panel and charge controller. The commercial battery manufacturers lack vision in this area, but I'm sure after this reply has been up a few weeks, one of them wlll come up with one.
    Thanks for sharing the pictures.
    Julian oh8stn

9. EU1MEV

EU1MEV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Guys share your portable solar batteries sets... Preferably with amazon\ebay links .
    Thanks in advance

10. OH8STN

Here is the QRO 50A 128wh battery pack build based on Headway 38120 cells. The cells come in 8 , 10 12 15 and 20 amp hours. You can also put them in parallel to increase capacity. All links are in the video description and comments.
    FWIW, I'm personally uncomfortable sharing commercial links directly on QRZ. Instructions and tutorials with links to parts might be OK.
    Julian oh8stn

11. KM4AHP

KM4AHP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Great Video. I am just starting to get into QRP and have the radio, battery, antenna, etc., now I am looking at getting a man packable solar panel and charge control unit. Thanks for all of the information you have provided.

OH8STN likes this.
  12. OH8STN

Thanks for the kindness, you are very welcome.
    Julian oh8stn

KM4AHP likes this.
  13. AI5DH

AI5DH Ham Member

FWIW there are a lot larger cells that cost considerable less made by CALB, SINOPOLY, WINSTON, and GBS. Sizes range from 40 AH to 400 AH. All are LFP (aka LiFeP04) prismatic cells. I use quite a few of them in off grid solar systems, racing golf carts, and EV conversions. FWIW there is no real need for a BMS if you Bottom Balance the cells and operate them in 10 - 90% SOC charge range which will significantly extend cycle life by 100% .

14. OH8STN

Agreed. If I were building a home system I've definitely use those.
    Regarding the BMS it does more than just balance the cells. Under voltage protection, over voltage protection, and short circuit protection. Those cannot be achieved through bottom balancing.
    Julian oh8stn

W8BFX likes this.
  15. W5LMM

W5LMM Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi Julian! Love your vids and info!

I made a qrp battery pack following your instructions on YouTube for
    DIY LiFePO4 Battery Pack Headway 38120 Ham Radio QRP+128wh
    and it's been working great, except the other day I was doing some digital modes and the battery just completely quit.
    And trying to charge it results in a red Error LED on the GenaSun controller. The cells show around 3v, (two are 3.2, and two are 2.7)
    Is there a reset procedure?

Thanks!!