Man 40M was nuts last night!

Discussion in 'On-Air Operations - Q&A' started by KN4DQE, May 12, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: FBNews-1
ad: OK1UUad-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N8AFT

N8AFT Ham Member QRZ Page

It's pretty much a non-issue on CW. That's why I decided to learn Morse 8yrs ago. That and the terrible HF band conditions.
    I could hear lots of CW ops when the fone guys were struggling to talk into the next county.

Learn Morse
    Do CW

N8VIL likes this.
  2. K4ADD

K4ADD Ham Member QRZ Page

So Fl 40m daytime I hear weak or no stations, I presume band conditions, is it dead everywhere else too?

3. N8AFT

Just the same here in Ohio OM....

4. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Whoops!

5. N8AFT

What Whoops? Things have gone down hill measurably in the past 8 yrs.
    It is markedly worse propagation now vs. then. Sunspots non-existent all July.
    Yes, vy dead here in Ohio daytime as well as anywhere else for that matter, fone es yes even CW now.

Learn Morse
    Do CW

6. VE1GA

VE1GA Ham Member QRZ Page

[QUOTE="KN4DQE, post: 4659551, member: 842025"

"I've also noticed a few stations recently that are transmitting in LSB on 20M as well...SMH.[/QUOTE]"

So what's the problem with using LSB on 20M or USB on 80 or 40M? It is perfectly valid and a good idea. Before SSB, AM was the predominant phone mode.
    That's a carrier plus a LSB and a USB component. SSB removes the carrier and one of those sidebands. The suppressed sideband frequency is now available for
    someone else to use. Two stations can share the same carrier frequency, one operating LSB and the other USB. With good sideband suppression that most any
    transceiver of modern vintage will meet, and coupled with good amateur practice of limiting RF power according to regulations, the bands can support a lot
    more traffic. This was one of the original selling points for using SSB. It is still valid and even more so with the improved filter skirts of equipment today.

N8AFT likes this.
  7. N8AFT

Right you are OM Tony! We have conducted Friday evening net operations on 80m USB with great success! Certainly is less QRM.
    Some of the good ol boy Bubba Hams were not pleased about it but that's ok.

8. W2AAT

W2AAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I remember Capt. Dave when he was just an Ensign. Had a 12' dingey on that lake:D:D:D:D