Making Wire Antenna Insulators

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by KC8VWM, Oct 31, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

Go ahead and try to pull a 1/2" wide zip tie apart with your bare hands. (Tiny bit of strain...lol)

AK5B likes this.
  2. AK5B

AK5B Ham Member QRZ Page

Great selling point, Charles---let's bring this up at our next board meeting. Do you realize that three cents is one-sixteenth the going rate in 1966 , too?

Veep Jeff

3. KC8VWM

Ah yes... 1966.

[​IMG]

:)

AK5B likes this.
  4. AK5B

AK5B Ham Member QRZ Page

Allied, Heath and Lafayette were our HRO, DXE and Gigaparts back in those good ol' days weren't they?

How time flies.

WB5YUZ and KC8VWM like this.
  5. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

No need. Most are deteriorated by UV.

lol

6. WA7PRC

I worked in two mom-and-pop ham radio & electronic parts stores. Low pay but, fun & edumacational. :)

7. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

We had all those, but also Harrison Radio, Barry's, Federated, Trevose Hamtronics, Gem Electronics, Atkinson & Smith and so many others.

We had "Disco" about a mile from where I grew up; didn't sell ham gear, but sold everything related to it (coax, connectors, J-38 keys, lots of stuff -- all military surplus) and it was a treasure trove. I used to buy NOS mil-spec RG-8A/U for $0.10/foot and they had miles of it, I can't imagine they ever sold it all. 300 Ohm heavy-duty twin lead was $3 for 100 feet. Amphenol 83-1SP PL-259s were $0.45.

I'd travel up north into NY state and there was Adirondack Radio and lots of others...the Rochester, NY airport had a ham store inside the airport! That's probably a Starbucks now.

I do sometimes miss "the old days." They weren't better days, but hams had so many more choices and usually some very local ones.

KC8VWM and WA7PRC like this.
  8. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

You betcha. Paul was a great guy, I didn't know Smitty that well but he was a good guy too. The "upstairs" was awesome. An indoor swapmeet, boxes and boxes and shelves of part and stuff. I was in there several times a week.

Sad day when they closed up.

9. KC8VWM

I don't know any SOTA or QRP guys who have their ultra lightweight portable antennas permanently deployed for 17,520 hours in the sun.

Portable antennas are usually stored inside a backpack until needed. Probably deployed and exposed to UV for 100-200 hours a year tops.

However, if one does break after 17,520 hours of portable operating time due to UV exposure, then I would have to say I probably got my 3 cents worth.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2017
    AK5B likes this.
  10. WA7PRC

Good for you. :p

Last edited: Nov 3, 2017