Making Wire Antenna Insulators

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by KC8VWM, Oct 31, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Those work well but I remember when those same insulators cost $0.39/each.:)

That was in 1966...:p

WA7PRC likes this.
  2. AK5B

AK5B Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, yeah, Steve---but back then there were no chickens yet developed that could lay ceramic eggs. The astronomical R&D costs for that kind of stuff had to be recouped somewhere besides the chicken coop. $3 is still a modest sum for such technology, don'tcha think?

3. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Yeah.

"I have a dog who has no nose!"

"How does he smell?"

"Terrible!":p

AK5B likes this.
  4. N2UHC

N2UHC Ham Member QRZ Page

Joke warfare was banned under the Geneva Conventions.

AK5B likes this.
  5. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

I read the title:

"Making Wire Antenna Insulators"

and thought; hmmmm, wire doesn't make a good insulator!

AK5B, KC8VWM and WA7PRC like this.
  6. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

I remember selling them, around 10 years later. :)

7. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

That's correct VP Jeff.

These lightweight "QRP insulators" cost less than 3 cents each.

Even our competitors can't beat our ultra low prices ! :)

8. WA7PRC

Fortunately, I can afford the $3 one time cost of a good porcelain compression insulator, and not have to forego a $3 microbrew. :)

AK5B likes this.
  9. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

When operating SOTA or QRP portable, the last thing you want to be dragging around is a link dipole constructed from 10 pounds of ceramic insulators.

Most people are using telescopic squid poles as a center support for their portable dipoles, so the less their antenna setup weighs, the better.

These zip tie insulators are stronger than the antenna wire itself and don't cause the top of the fishing pole to bend over onto the ground like heavy ceramic insulators would do.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2017
    AK5B likes this.
  10. WA7PRC

When erecting an antenna that places more than a tiny bit of strain on an insulator, the last thing you want is to have the antenna fall, leaving the support dangling. That includes temporary antennas.

There are two types of insulators... strain and compression. The OP's 3 cent insulator is a strain insulator. When it breaks, the antenna falls, leaving the support dangling. OTOH, compression (aka "egg") insulators, if/when they break don't let the antenna fall. They're available in large to small sizes. The larger size I require (Daburn #10-72) runs about $3/each from Davis RF (link) and weighs only a few ounces. The smaller #10-73 weighs only a few grams:
    [​IMG]
    I've used them to support the mast that holds a small HF yagi. It has survived MANY yuuge windstorms. :)