Making Wire Antenna Insulators

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by KC8VWM, Oct 31, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
  1. G3YRO

G3YRO Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes but I'm not convinced that ANY of these moulded insulators - whether, glass, ceramic or plastic - are actually any better than the Polyester cord I use.

By the way, although Nylon cord looks similar, it's not so suitable, as it absorbs water)

Roger G3YRO

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I've had polyester (well, double braided Dacron) cord catch fire and melt when tied to one end of a dipole antenna, transmitting with a kW, and during a rainstorm.

It's funny this has happened not once, but twice, to me and only when it's raining. When the WX is dry it never happens. It only rains here maybe 15-20 days a year or something, so the odds of it raining and my being on the air and transmitting aren't so great, but it has happened.

The cord self-extinguishes, and once I actually watched it happen. It flames, then burns and melts and breaks the rope at the knot, then everything falls down and the flame simply extinguishes so it doesn't spread to anything else.

I use good insulators now, and this has never happened again.

N4MTB, WA7PRC and AK5B like this.
  3. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

4. N8CMQ

N8CMQ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi Roger, the story for the egg insulator is the failsafe if the insulator breaks, the loops keep the antenna up, if the egg insulators were used correctly. My belief is, the insulator works better in compression, like concrete, rather than in tension.

Both reasons make a bit of sense, as does wire tied to poly rope, if it is OK for an antenna to fall if the rope or wire fail at the joint, you shouldn't need an insulator.

However, my vertical guys caused the SWR to go crazy the last time it rained. The guys are poly rope, and I am looking for something that does not hold water.

5. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Around here they sell the chickens that lay them too. :)

6. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Why do you think Rubber Chickens have always been so popular!
    [​IMG]

7. AK5B

AK5B Ham Member QRZ Page

Google Spectra line; that might be the perfect solution.

Jeff

KC8VWM likes this.
  8. AK5B

AK5B Ham Member QRZ Page

By the way, although Charles (the OP) didn't specifically say these cable tie insulators were for portable/QRP ops I believe that was his general intent as exemplified by his many portable antenna designs he often comes up with here.

Jeff
    Vice President
    VWM Industries

KC8VWM likes this.
  9. G3YRO

G3YRO Ham Member QRZ Page

Curious . . .

As I bet it rains a lot more here in England . . . yet in 40 years of using Braided Polyester cord on the end of several different resonant half wave dipoles (160 to 20m) without any other insulators, I've NEVER had any problems ! (I currently run a TL-922)

By the way, I'm not trying to be argumentative . . . just passing on my experience.

Roger G3YRO

W2VW likes this.
  10. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

Same here... the best $3/insulator (approximately one microbrew beer/insulator) I've spent. :)