Making Wire Antenna Insulators

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by KC8VWM, Oct 31, 2017.

ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. N2UHC

N2UHC Ham Member QRZ Page

I just use about 6" of 1/2" PVC pipe. I drill holes in the ends and run the antenna wire and support ropes through the holes.

N7BDY likes this.
  2. KF5PAL

KF5PAL Ham Member QRZ Page

I fire up the 3D printer and print however many and size I need out of ABS.

3. N8XTH

N8XTH Ham Member QRZ Page

I prefer glass ones due to fewer wear points to wear on the line holding up the antenna but for a cheap experimental antenna I pick up a bag of electric fence egg insulators at the local farm store ($5 for 12 insulators IIRC)

4. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

Old news. Since radio was new, cheapskate & dirt-poor hams have been using lots of different materials instead of store-bought insulators. As a poor Novice ca 1970, I did that.
    Yep. A dozen years ago, I bought three Daburn #10-72 compression (aka "egg") insulators for a dipole from Davis RF (http://www.davisrf.com/insulat.php):
    [​IMG]
    At $3/each, that's less than $1/year for three. :)

5. KW4TI

KW4TI Ham Member QRZ Page

I have made an insulator by threading the cable tie into a loose loop, and tying the antenna wire and support rope onto opposite ends of the loop. This is convenient because it can be done without any tools. The main problem with cable ties and such is corners to snag on things. Rounding edges on the cable ties may help prevent this. A large loop cable tie might help prevent arcing, but if this is a problem something nonflammable like ceramic is probably better.

Dan
    KW4TI

6. G3YRO

G3YRO Ham Member QRZ Page

So if you're not using a metal wire AFTER the insulator, why do you guys bother with these various insulators at all?

I just knot the end of my PVC-covered antenna wire to 3mm Polyester cord.

So no extra weight . . . and no extra cost.

There's no breakdown at the end of dipoles, even running high power.

Roger G3YRO

W2VW likes this.
  7. WA4SIX

WA4SIX Ham Member QRZ Page

All of the ranch & feed stores have cheap plastic egg insulators by the bag...

Ed

N0TZU, N8XTH and AK5B like this.
  8. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

The Daburn #10-72 compression (aka "egg") insulators that I bought from Davis RF (http://www.davisrf.com/insulat.php) for $3/each make for a good interface of the FOUR 14 AWG wires at the ends of my 80m cage inverted vee to the 1/4" (6.3mm) double-braided Nylon rope:
    [​IMG]
    (click for bigly image)

N7BDY likes this.
  9. WA3QGD

WA3QGD Ham Member QRZ Page

Little thing called the NFPA.a good reason to look up at a power distribution pole and without any research a self guided tour and "Show and Tell" of why high voltage should be above ground bound populants and their loved ones .At a minimum at least a 12 inch ark path should be employed and at that there will always be some "Leakage" on a planet with humidity in addition "RF" really does not act quite the same as DC or 60 CYCLE AC ,just because one cannot see the plasma modulated leakage dont mean it aint occuring.

N8XTH, AK5B and KA0HCP like this.
  10. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

IF you are creating a 1920s / 1930s era wire radio antenna,
    THEN there is always Glass !
    4DBF0809-7F35-4A64-8AA7-EB5C4778D441.jpeg
    Colored and Pyrex (Corning) from that era appear, at higher prices.

N8XTH and AK5B like this.