Making the switch to rechargeable batteries - recommendations needed

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by K7NNR, Mar 21, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-rfparts
  1. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Me, too.

Better batteries cost a little bit more but can certainly last longer.

KC8VWM likes this.
  2. K0OKS

K0OKS Ham Member QRZ Page

Repeat after me... there are no other NiMH batteries than Eneloop. They are the best hands down.

Most other, no matter the name brand, are garbage-- Not worth your time, no matter the price. Eneloop batteries have a very low rate of spontaneous discharge, meaning they will still have a charge when you need them, unlike most other brands. I have been using them in everything that takes AA and AAA batteries for years now. I have yet to encounter any device that does not work better with the Eneloops than with alkalines.

For 9V I would consider lithium ion. For the others Eneloop. Note that some 9V battery devices may have problems with lower voltages rechargeable batteries.

KC8VWM and AI3V like this.
  3. KI6DCB

KI6DCB Ham Member QRZ Page

Pilot joke:

Flashlight -- metal cylinder kept in airplane's cockpit used for storing dead batteries

KB2SMS likes this.
  4. AI3V

AI3V Ham Member QRZ Page

Sayno eneloops.

And don't get suckered into buying any type of "conditioner".

Batteries loose a bit of capacity every charge/discharge cycle.

So called "memory" is a phenomenon that is difficult to reproduce under lab conditions, I have repaired thousands of ht's and never saw a battery that had "memory" or could be "conditioned"

But I saw plenty of batteries that went to an early grave because the departments had "conditioners"

Ask yourself, where is the Panasonic conditioner?

Rege

KC8VWM likes this.
  5. K6BSU

K6BSU Ham Member QRZ Page

For highest energy density, Lithium Polymer is tops. These require a dedicated charger, and the danger of explosion or fire is present. I charge my Lipo batteries outside, on the concrete driveway.

Floyd

6. N7EKU

N7EKU Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi,

Eneloops work like alkalines, except you can recharge them! I've run them in clocks and remote controls, and they've gone on working for over a year easily. Every other kind will be dead in a couple months when used in a remote or a clock. They don't loose much charge in storage at all -- they claim to lose only 30% of their charge when stored for 10 years, which is pretty good!

Just get the charger that Panasonic sells with the batteries. They work great and treat the batteries well.

Mark.

7. WB0MPB

WB0MPB Subscriber QRZ Page

This is what I bought when I started wearing an external tens unit.
    EBL 600mAh Li-ion 9V 9 Volt 6F22 Lithium-ion Rechargeable Battery + Charger
    Remember these are 8.4 volt even though they say 9 volt. That is the standard for Li-ion batteries but the mAh rating is higher then disposable 9 volt batteries. So in my unit they last longer then a 9 volt disposable battery. IF I remember right I think a disposable battery is about 500 mAh. (If I am wrong one of the info corrector's will soon be here to set me straight!!!)
    I have had the set of four a couple years now. They are still working as good now as when they were new. At first I just used disposable batteries but that got expensive. In my tens unit these last longer then the disposable ones did. I just keep them on the charger and cycle through them so I go through all 4 before I start with the first one again. They charge faster then one discharges in my tens unit. You can buy them without the charger too and I have not looked but I would assume they have them in other sizes then 9 volt.
    So for me I did a lot of reading about batteries for my tens and found these to be the best deal for what I needed. Also you can leave them on the charger cause when the fully charge it shuts down the charging so they don't over charge and destroy them.

Sorry but yes I know they are on eBay for you eBay haters. I buy almost every thing I get from eBay or Amazon.

They have them on Amazon too.
    I have used these in some of my RC transmitters. I have pot load of these. Just remember these are 1.2 Volt so if you have something that has to have 1.5 volts you will have to look further.

So this is just my experience after I spent a lot of time figuring out what to buy for my tens unit. ( I also highly recommend if you have any back pain get a tens unit. They feel so good. I got mine through a medical company because my doctor prescribed it but you can get tens units on Amazon that look good. Just not as many different settings as mine has. Here is a page with a lot of different ones. I get my pads off Amazon. Best quality and price I could find.)

John, WB0MPB

8. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

Here is my fave source for batteries and chargers. The Maha chargers will bring back many batteries from the dead that other chargers won't touch.

http://www.thomasdistributing.com/

KB2SMS likes this.
  9. K7NNR

K7NNR Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks again for all the good info. Lots to think about, keep it coming.