ad: Radclub22-1

Making Perfect Morse Code By Hand (Video)

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by NW7US, Mar 3, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. NW7US

NW7US Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It might be an old, vintage film, but the concepts and techniques portrayed in this video are applicable to Morse code communication, today. Morse code is a very popular mode (via CW) on the ham bands. This information is useful if you are desiring to be efficient in CW communication.

73 de +NW7US

5B4AJV, NB7A, WP4AOO and 2 others like this.
  2. WR2E

WR2E XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Tomas, I hope that I've passed muster in our QSOs!

3. AF7DK

AF7DK Ham Member QRZ Page

This is a great video. When I decided to get back into Morse code a couple of years ago I was "refreshing" my memory and found this video on youtube. My wife heard it and decided to learn too. After watching this video she had pretty much memorised all the letters sounds and moved onto the Just Lean Morse Code program. Within a week she was up to reading 12 WPM! Pretty impressive.
    I really like this video because it helps put the "music" into sending Morse code. Its hard to understand code at 20WPM characters on a keyer with 10 or 15 WPM spacing! there's just no rhythm to it.
    However... before everyone hammers me for that statement, I do and will work anyone regardless of how their code sounds, and I enjoy every contact I make on CW. I'm far from perfect.. and I don't expect anyone else to be perfect either.
    This video really is worth watching.
    Another little tip I find useful is I record my own practice sending and read it back. It helps you realise where things might be a little better. I'm a musician, (some might not call the Scottish Highland Bagpipes music though :) hi hi) and I record myself playing that too.. its sometimes surprising how you don't sound like how you think you do until you hear a recording of you self.

I really hope this article gives some people the urge to lean the code and thanks very much to NW7US for posting it here.

regards, Cameron - AF7DK

4. W5LMM

W5LMM Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

LOL!!!! That Sergeant Young was way too serious about his Dits and Dahs. Hahahah!

5. W5LMM

W5LMM Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

LOL!!! And Poor Private Jones!! And where can I find a brass key that size!! hahah

6. KN4OK

KN4OK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I have been using that same key for over 35 years. The only difference is I have to hold it with my hands as my leg is too big now LOL

7. EDDYSTONE

EDDYSTONE QRZ Member

I`m not perfect....... and I don`t hold the key in the approved manner,... but... I have been complimented many times on how good my sending is. you can check it out on short videos at the end of my blogs about keys I have refurbished... or made...

www.nemosphotography.blogspot.co.uk

or you can contact me on the internet on CWCOM ( http://www.mrx.com.au/d_cwcom.htm ) a free program to enable you to connect any key to your laptop, desktop, or tower system using Windows OR Linux, and send and receive morse over the internet.

Always ready for a ragchew (just about every day until 2200 G.M.T.) .... check it out and call me GEMS is my call,... I am Ex-Royal Navy Radio Operator from 1960 to 1972...

8. W0RIO

W0RIO Ham Member QRZ Page

Interesting, the very first Morse code in the video are played on a piano using different
    notes for the dots and dashes. Two-tone Morse code (FSCW) was used by Ludwig Koch, author of
    "The Art And Skill of Radio-Telegraphy" to speed up the process of learning to receive code.
    Once you get used to it, FSCW jumps out at you when you hear it.

I've done some experimentation with FSCW recently:
    http://www.solorb.com/elect/hamcirc/fscw/index.html
    and have been playing with a 10 meter beacon that uses that mode:
    http://www.solorb.com/elect/hamcirc/28mbeacon1/index.html

9. WP4AOO

WP4AOO Ham Member QRZ Page

10. KW0U

KW0U Ham Member QRZ Page

You don't often hear Tchaikovsky and Beethoven in army training films. Very good advice on adjusting and using keys. This works so much better when you see it rather than just read about the techniques. Glad you brought it up!

Incidentally if you ever see the fine 1924 silent movie on building the transcontinental railroad, "The Iron Horse," in the scene when the Golden Spike is laid linking the tracks the actual telegraph message sent is played by a piano: -.. --- -. .

11. N7YT

N7YT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I really enjoyed the film and I agree with everything taught. Bill N7YT

12. KK5HT

KK5HT Ham Member QRZ Page

Enjoyed the video! I'm going to try out "holding the key".

13. EDDYSTONE

EDDYSTONE QRZ Member

For information.... the link to CWCOM download ( mrx.com.au ) (in post number 7 ) is not working... instead... use the blogsite address

https://morsepower.blogspot.com/p/blog-page.html

to find the download URLS , and all information about CWCOM settings, including how to attach a key to your computer/laptop, and how to get the program working on LINUX and MAC machines