Making Homebrew IF Transformers

Discussion in 'Homebrew and Kit Projects' started by W0RIO, Mar 13, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

That was back when students had to learn both theory and hands-on stuff. The textbooks from that time are also far more detailed than our modern "higher education" versions.

2. AE7TE

AE7TE Ham Member QRZ Page

I was actually one of the contenders in that article. Regretfully, I learned that there's a lot more to making double- tuned transformers than putting wire on a form.

I've spent a little while lately researching tuned circuits. My current goal is to make a regenerative IF receiver with a single tuned stage at 1700 kHz. The receiver will use 24As and a 27.

Max ended up returning my transformers to me, rewound with litz and replacing the wood forms with plastic. I'm in the middle of an AM receiver with space charge tubes to showcase their efficacy.

Ed AE7TE

3. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

The hardest part is finding Litz wire. I used to have a universal winder ages ago, which I sorta regret selling.

4. KI6J

KI6J Ham Member QRZ Page

I'll stick to the 10.7 Toko cans modded with a parallel cap to put it on frequency.

5. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks to another poster here who had links to all kinds of radio and ham related sources, I have been perusing old Popular Electronics and Radio Electronics magazines. Back in "ye olde daze," they both actually HAD a complete Ham Radio monthly column. (I know, such useless things like "How to Operate," How to set up a station," etc.) But I remember they DID have a whole month's column on winding one's own IF transformers. You might try there, from about 1968 on... I know it's a lot to look through, but you can probably just look at the "Table of Contents " pages of each month to find it. Good luck.

6. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

7. G3EDM

G3EDM Ham Member QRZ Page

I have that book. I also have a couple of Morris winders (including the one pictured below) although the Gingery homebrewed winder is better, IMO.

[​IMG]

I also have this, which is a 1950s set of blank IF cans and forms for those winding their own:

[​IMG]

I've wound a lot of coils, but never IFs. But I have the stuff needed for it.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

73 de Martin, G3EDN

AD5HR, W3SLK and N2EY like this.