ad: elecraft

Making Homebrew IF Transformers

Discussion in 'Homebrew and Kit Projects' started by W0RIO, Mar 13, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: abrind-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W0RIO

W0RIO Ham Member QRZ Page

Max Robinson's Fun with Tubes site has an in-depth article about making homebrew IF
    transformers, you can find that here:
    http://www.angelfire.com/electronic/funwithtubes/winding_if_transformers.html
    It seems like a worthwhile topic for the homebrew crowd.

The title is kind of amusing:
    Winding Your Own AM IF transformers.
    How Hard Can It Be?
    Don't Answer That.
    Here's a photo of his work, it looks very professional:
    MaxRobinsonIFCoil.png

W7UUU, EA4ESF, KC8YLT and 3 others like this.
  2. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

that is a very interesting website. Thanks for sharing

3. AD5HR

AD5HR Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow!
    I have one Morris winder, guess I need another half?
    Very cool site.
    Jon

4. WB8NQW

WB8NQW Ham Member QRZ Page

When I was in DeVry in Chicago in 1961 we had to design and build a regulated 200v DC power supply, a 20 watt per channel stereo audio amplifier and an FM tuner. All of these started with a flat sheet of aluminum. When we got to the FM tuner IF cans we had to build our own. DeVry had a coil winder in the lab and as I recall it was not too difficult although it did require some attention to details.
    Bob

5. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

T
    The RCA Radiotron Engineers Handbook, dedicates over 150 pages to winding coils.....how hard can it be, indeed!

I worry that a lot of this will be a lost art before we're gone.

6. KK4NSF

I've wound dozens of coils by hand, but nothing like these.
    like all things, it's not too hard if you know how, and have the right tools.... like the winder shown here. BUT if you are like me and don't know how, it can be very, very challenging! :D

One thing I noticed on the website is that big spool of litz wire. That is very cool stuff!

7. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

:eek: My oh my - astounding!!

Dave
    W7UUU

8. W0RIO

W0RIO Ham Member QRZ Page

There are lots of good articles on that site, Max also did an analysis of the circuitry in tube-era
    communications receivers, he compares the various circuits from Collins, Drake, Hallicrafters, National etc
    in this article:
    http://www.angelfire.com/electronic/funwithtubes/Com_Rcvr-A.html

KK4NSF, I also noticed that spool of Litz wire, I thought that would be hard to find, but a quick search on
    eBay came up with many sources.

KK4NSF likes this.
  9. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

https://gingerybookstore.com/CoilWindingMachine.html

Gingery Publishing has offered for years, this booklet on how to build a Universal Coil Winding Machine that can make solenoid and basket/honeycomb coils. Machine can be built using sheet brass and common hardware and hand tools.

You can find this booklet in paper and ebook formats various places on the web.

W0RIO and KK4NSF like this.
  10. KK4NSF

KA0HCP likes this.