making ham stuff out of around the house stuff

Discussion in 'Homebrew and Kit Projects' started by KN4BFO, May 7, 2018.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: l-BCInc
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KN4BFO

KN4BFO Ham Member QRZ Page

what are some ideas of stuff to make thats ham related what are some ideas and projects for (around the house stuff or just real cheap stuff)

N0TZU likes this.
  2. AG6QR

AG6QR Subscriber QRZ Page

Lots of opportunities for antenna construction, including copper cactus J-poles, wire dipoles, various improvised loading coils, etc.

Many have made improvised morse keys or cooties from brass, hacksaw blades, and other hardware.

3. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

Cheap? Did someone call?

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

WA7PRC, K3RLD and KD8DEY like this.
  4. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Ham Member QRZ Page

Soda can variable capacitor for a Xtal set, Wax paper & aluminum "condenser" for the headphones, Ball point pen & copper "rust" or razor blade & safety pin detector....
    ymmv

N0TZU likes this.
  5. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

6. N8TGQ

N8TGQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Here's a key and paddle made from old gift cards. largepaddle.jpg Straightkey 01.jpg

KN4BFO likes this.
  7. VK3YE

VK3YE Ham Member QRZ Page

Pet Shop Pill Gun Variable Inductor

KK4CUL likes this.
  8. K9STH

K9STH Ham Member Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

Aluminum cake pans, etc., make very cheap chassis for projects.

Those cheap, aluminum, cookie sheets can be cut for all sorts of shields, panels, etc.

Dollar Tree is an excellent source of these various items.

Metal file boxes make good cabinets for small projects. Old ball point pins make excellent basis for test probes, etc. Nails can be used for test probe tips. Nail polish can be used for all sorts of things including holding wire turns in place on coils.

Goddard's Silver Dip / Tarn-X are good for cleaning rotary switches. Bar Keeper's Friend is good for cleaning all sorts of metal items. Pill bottles make excellent coil forms.

Glen, K9STH

N0TZU likes this.
  9. N1OOQ

N1OOQ Ham Member QRZ Page

You can get flashing copper at the hardware store. It's solderable and easily bendable. You can cut it with big scissors. I use it to make shields around circuits that need it.

N0TZU likes this.
  10. W4RAV

W4RAV Ham Member QRZ Page

An inventor only needs an idea and a box of junk! :)

I don't build much, but an earlier project was a "balun" with excess I might have otherwise put in the recycle bin.

k2nccuglybalun001.jpg

I used a large pump-type shampoo bottle, about 5" tall, 4" diameter, upside down. After measuring and tapping holes for my tie-wraps, I wound about 20' of RG8x around the plastic bottle, and used a PL-259 connector on one end to bridge with the feed-line. The other end of the coax was center conductor to one side, shielding to the other, making the dipole connection points. I used nuts-n-bolts and a couple of large washers on both sides of the bolts for stress-relief on the plastic and to secure the antenna legs. This assembly allows me to remove the balun from the system easily and add/remove bands with little effort. A threaded brass loop from an old table-lamp lets me use a simple double-ended snap hook to a eye-bolt screwed to the eve of the house. I finished off the project by applying a generous amount of liquid tape to anywhere that water could seep in.

Attached Files:

N0TZU likes this.