Mains Transformers as Modulation Transformers

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation' started by G3YRO, Jun 7, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
  1. G3YRO

G3YRO Ham Member QRZ Page

I haven't built an AM Transmitter for over 40 years . . .

But reading comments on this section about the frequency response of different Modulation Transformers reminded me that back in the day I only ever used various Mains Transformers . . . yet those rigs always seemed to have good audio responses, both at the low and high end.

I actually built an AM Broadcast Transmitter using one, which ran about 200 watts DC input, and the audio quality of the music was pretty good. (this had a QY4-400 in Class C, modulated by a pair of EL34s in push-pull)

I also built a 100 watt audio amp which had a mains transformer in the output with a hefty 6.3V winding, so used that to drive the loudspeaker . . . again, it sounded pretty good !

And I built several small stereo audio amps, single-ended Class A producing about 4 watts (using ECL86s), again using small Mains Transformers as the output transformers, which all sounded good.

Roger G3YRO

WA3JVJ likes this.
  2. W2VW

W2VW Ham Member QRZ Page

It depends of course on what the transformer is made from and how it's wound.

The talented people I learned from used to insist on a frequency response sweep and a measurement of peak modulation capability as a starting point for an AM tx. There was a time when I thought they were just being difficult.

Here's a link to a book which should address your post using newer components:

https://www.amazon.com/Modern-high-end-valve-amplifiers-transformers/dp/0905705637

Additionally, I know people who have used very old plate transformers as modulation transformers in autotransformer configuration.

I have toroidal mains transformers used as modulation transformers on my main AM setups running legal limit.

They work very well.

I swapped one out with a modern 4.5kva mains distribution transformer and the high end was so bad I didn't bother measuring it.

In 1995 I built a modulator with a pair of cathode driven 4-1000s as modulators. It worked almost as well as the later pair of 833As I switched to when I realized all that plate dissipation was not doing anything for me on the bands. The 4-1000 driver transformer was a 1:3 turns ratio low voltage center tapped mains type transformer. Drove it with a large solid state audio power amplifier. The 833s were driven by UTC CG output pp-parallel 6l6 transformer turned around backwards.

I suppose a single ended class A amplifier would require quite an oversizing of output transformer to handle the unbalanced DC.

There are a lot of fine amateurs on AM over there. They frequent the Hackgreen SDR and meet on 3612? khz.

3. WB2GCR

WB2GCR Ham Member QRZ Page

Sounding "pretty good" and actually being "hifi" are not the same things.

The problem with mains transformers is that due to their winding methods,
    simpler than audio transformers, they typically end up with a rolloff ~5kHz.
    Some may go a bit higher.

But, two things work in one's favor in ham radio. One is that output much above
    5kHz isn't terribly valuable. Two, many people actually can't hear above the 5-10kHz
    range anyhow.

So, I have used a mains to 6.3vac transformer as a 600ohm to "8 ohm" matching transformer
    out of the back of several different receivers. It sound fine. But, again, response above
    5-10kHz is not needed, and really not desirable.

So, for ham use it may be ok in some situations.

N2EY and AG5DB like this.
  4. SM0AOM

SM0AOM Ham Member QRZ Page

What has been mostly overlooked are the core DC component saturation aspects.

In a push-pull class B circuit, the DC currents flowing to each modulator valve (tube),in the primary cancel but the anode (plate) current flowing in the secondary of a modulation transformer does not.

There is a net DC magnetisation in the core, which may or may not lead to saturation and distorsion if the core area is too small.

Also, as mains power transformers are not designed for frequencies much above 100 Hz, core losses may influence the results. On the plus side, as the lower frequency limit of "communications audio" is in the order of 200 or 300 Hz, the core area in especially 50 Hz transformers may permit some DC flux without peak saturation, as the flux density increases with decreasing frequency.

Most transformers are also designed with some margins in these respects.

73/
    Karl-Arne
    SM0AOM

AG5DB and KA9JLM like this.
  5. K4KYV

K4KYV Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

Shunt feed (modulation reactor with blocking capacitor) will prevent core saturation. Many better quality modulation transformers are not designed to carry the dc to the final and require shunt feed. Several power supply filter chokes wired in series can make a satisfactory modulation reactor.

N2EY likes this.
  6. W1BR

W1BR Ham Member QRZ Page

I'd wonder about using the CT high voltage secondary winding in a power transformer. SE
    class A modulator on one end, PA tube on the other end. B plus on CT. Wouldn't DC magnetic
    field cancel??

7. K4KYV

K4KYV Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

If the DC plate currents were adjusted to be equal. A modification of the "constant current" Heising circuit. It should work.

Back in the mid 1930s UTC made a balanced mid-tapped audio choke just for that purpose.

8. W2VW

W2VW Ham Member QRZ Page

Look up the schematic of almost any tube type CB radio from the mid sixties on. Most use one center tapped winding as you describe.

Not sure about the modulator's conduction angle.

W2BTK likes this.
  9. W1BR

W1BR Ham Member QRZ Page

I think those were generally tapped at 5k and 7k, basically Heising modulation. There would be no DC magnetic field cancellation since the B plus is feed at the end of the winding, not the
    CT.

10. W2VW

W2VW Ham Member QRZ Page

You're right. They aren't fed in the center and the center may not be the electrical center.