magnetron question

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by WA4ILH, Mar 20, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: FBNews-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. AA5CT

AA5CT Ham Member QRZ Page

re: "the one that actually holds up is a higher incidence of cataracts in people who have had significant exposure to microwave energy (aka radar techs):

Heat from a heating pad will do it, so, I imagine, adequate heating energy from a uwave will too.

I have had personal experience with this. I am stating this as fact. The blinding event, one eye only, took place 20 years back. Fixed now, lens only was affected.

2. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

One eye only? That is suspicious. Modern microwaves have a small viewing panel on the front that (supposedly) prevent any external radiation due to their small grid. (Microwave frequency vs. grid screen of the view screen?)

3. AA5CT

4. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Not any, But most.

I can read the amount of leak with my microwave leak tester.

My WiFi network sees the leaks too.

I never had a eyeball QSO with my microwave oven.

5. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Many foods continue to "cook" after being heated , whether by microwave or conventional (or so the Iron Chefs say. I guess they don't know?) And with a microwave, a boil-over is possible when overheated and then disturbed Rare, but not an impossibility. I would not accept that any radiation (except thermal) that exists in a properly functioning microwave oven once it "shuts off."

KD2ACO likes this.
  6. KD2ACO

KD2ACO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

^^^ Unless you're cooking plutonium :p ^^^

7. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

I prefer my plutonium sautéed, with a balsamic red wine reduction sauce.

I get glowing reviews...

AC8UN and KD2ACO like this.
  8. G4COE

G4COE Ham Member QRZ Page

Beware:
    If 'nicking' magnets from a 'maggy' Don't crack or crush ceramic like sealing, some 'maggies' contain beryllium oxide which is extremely dangerous. see this video.

I usually use the magnets under a tin can, say the back end of a speaker chassis that houses the speaker magnet (after being dismantled) for holding screws etc. Another tip, when dropping screws get a 'maggy magnet' wrap it in kitchen paper towel...... bend ya back to pick em' all up, then remove the magnet, it's a trick I learned long ago, my naughty words can't be found in dictionaries to date.

Dave

9. AA5CT

Look at the "delay time" required of a common transmit tube like the 3-500Z; its darn near "instant on" ...

http://www.ameritron.com/Downloads/index.php?productid=AL-82XQ&filename=AL-82.pdf&company=ameritron

Last edited: Apr 6, 2019