magnetron question

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by WA4ILH, Mar 20, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. K8ERV

    K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

    I didn't follow that, but don't know the purpose.

    TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo
     
  2. KA9JLM

    KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

    I was working on a oven, It had so much grease on the door safety switches, It fired up with the door open.

    I cleared all of the technician out of the shop when I demonstrated.

    Not sure what they were scared of. :rolleyes:
     
  3. AI3V

    AI3V Ham Member QRZ Page

    As a magnetron is a tube that operates on the transit time of the electrons, The rf output is a delicate balance between the accelerating voltage, the cavity dimensions, and the magnetic field strength.

    There would be little to gain by simply boosting the voltage.

    https://www.cpii.com/docs/related/2/MAG TECH ART.pdf

    http://www.radartutorial.eu/08.transmitters/Magnetron.en.html

    ...

    As a related note, the high voltage pulse on a ordinary radar set is generated by alternately charging and discharging a "artificial transmission Line" with a time constant equal to the pulse width desired.

    The artificial transmission Line is simply a series of capacitors and inductors.

    http://www.radartutorial.eu/08.transmitters/Radar Modulator.en.html

    Rege
     
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2019
    NE1U likes this.
  4. KD2ACO

    KD2ACO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

  5. K8ERV

    K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

    I am surprised the monitor or crowbar switch did not short the line and blow the fuse. It must have been stuck also. I have never seen that.

    I have placed my hands in an operating oven many times. Get very warm in about five seconds. I am still ok, still ok,
    still ok.

    TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo
     
    AC8UN, AI3V and KA9JLM like this.
  6. KA9JLM

    KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

    I hear Ya hear Ya hear Ya

    Your Morse Code is hard to copy copy copy.
     
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2019
  7. KD2ACO

    KD2ACO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

    I was wondering about how you guy's corneas are holding up. Of all the silly scare tactics with uwaves, it seems to me that the one that actually holds up is a higher incidence of cataracts in people who have had significant exposure to microwave energy (aka radar techs)

    If I was in that shop with Don, I would have run away also (scaredy cat). :eek::p
     
  8. KA9JLM

    KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

    I remember in the oven manual warnings, It would say wait 1 min before eating food.

    I figured that was so you don't get irradiated.

    No way the food cools off that fast, So it is not a "food may be hot" warning.

    They started adding the "food may be hot" warning later, For people that are really clueless.

    The "May be hot" warning is on Hot coffee too now a days. It better not be cold. :rolleyes:

     
    KD2ACO likes this.
  9. KD2ACO

    KD2ACO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

    Non-ionizing radation...

    The heat is in little pockets and it takes a while for the spinning to slow down and spread. Right out of the oven, you get little pockets of boiling hot still that need to spread out for a minute or your tongue will get burned.
     
  10. K8ERV

    K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

    Long ago there was a Doctor Carpenter in New England who had a group of monkeys he used
    in medical research. Published a paper saying he could cause cataracts with microwave energy.
    Not unexpected since heat can do that.

    What he failed to say was the radiation was so intense it killed the monkey.

    One of the early problems in using microwave energy was the inability to measure the level needed
    to obtain a specified result.

    TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo
     

Share This Page

ad: w3ff