magnetron question

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by WA4ILH, Mar 20, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

I thought I knew, But was told to be wrong. :(

There are no big magnets and the price is about %10 of a old school magnetron.

2. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Ye it is a clock or turntable type motor. It started making "noise" about a year after my microwave was purchased it from "Monkey Wards." But 28 years of use daily, it is still like the "Neveready" Bunny, and keeps going, and going, and going... with a bit on noise from a bad turntable bearing.

3. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

I hope his bruises and broken bones healed...:(:rolleyes:

4. AA5CT

AA5CT Ham Member QRZ Page

re: "Please do not accept just one reference and make your own search "dielectric constant of ice" and just browse thru the various scientific papers. There is a lot of less than simple studies. Water is complicated!"

DO NOT simply accept wiki (Wikipedia) answers either, than can be dead wrong ... I don't know if they've corrected it, but the article on super-regenerative receivers a few years back was waaay off the mark.

As to water, it comes down to Hydrogen bonds and the angle at which they 'join' with Oxygen; this creates, first off, a 'polar' (polarized) molecule, and the basis upon which "RF heating" works.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2019
  5. AA5CT

re: "no big magnets"

Small magnets then ... what *most* ppl see are the heatsink fins on the outside, and not the magnets inside (kinda hidden from view).

index_img_01.gif

NE1U likes this.
  6. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

These are what I was seeing during my 10 years of repairing them.

They were worth repairing in the day, A new oven was $1000 + for a good one.

[​IMG]

7. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

Easy. Just reverse the polarity.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

AC8UN likes this.
  8. NE1U

NE1U Ham Member QRZ Page

Wikipedia ... exceptionally good idea for this. Note the 11 references at the bottom of the wiki page as they are very good follow up. Polar molecule are part of the puzzle. Conductivity is kind of significant; pure water versus tap water for instance.

No magnets in magnetrons I guess that would be the unmagnetron or tron for short. That would be a great name for a movie!!!

As far as the OP's question. FPNI The rest of the thread is fun read.

9. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

Magnetrons do have magnets. Long ago some companies tried to put them inside the vacuum envelope but did not work out. Think maybe they could not stand the high bake-out temperature?

Be sure to wear glasses if you try to pry out the ferrite magnets, chips can break off. Not good for eyes.
    Great for eye doctors tho.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

10. AA5CT

Do not try this at home - pulsing an oven magnetron:

KA9JLM likes this.