ad: hrd-2

Magazine article publishing

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KB7QPS, Dec 5, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-2
  1. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Period.

I mean, the one missing at the end of that.:)

I had a great 9th grade English teacher, although he stressed "public speaking" above almost all else. If you can speak properly, you can also write properly -- and the diagramming is all in your head.:p

2. K1OIK

K1OIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

They could do better than a form letter.

3. WB2WIK

Why?

Some magazines receive hundreds of article submissions a month. Should they write a personal, thoughtful letter to everyone who submits content? I don't know any who do that.

I've had stuff published in Time magazine; I have no clue how many articles are submitted there, but it might be thousands. I sent an article in English to CQ HAM RADIO, many years ago, and their response was a form letter stating they only accept submissions in Japanese; this was before Google Translate and other similar apps existed, and I didn't want to pay a professional translation service so I just forgot about it. But their rejection letter actually was in English!:)

N2SR, WU8Y, WA8FOZ and 2 others like this.
  4. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

Possibly. But at least they sent a form letter. Some won’t even do that much.

N2EY likes this.
  5. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

That is the Participation Trophy!

KJ4VTH likes this.
  6. WB2WIK

"Dear Mr. or Mrs. XYZ,

"We have carefully read and reviewed your submission and decided it sucks.

"Thank you for your submission.":p

K1OIK likes this.
  7. KB7QPS

KB7QPS Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, I would probably make it a club decision rather than an individual decision. Every club I have been part of has talked about the site at a general club meeting, and decided where to have it.

If a committee of 4 were to be formed, I'd ask that they work together to figure out a location rather than each of them doing independent research and having the general club population vote on whose idea they liked. The idea being that if the committee worked as a team, all would feel good about their contribution. The idea that each of them present conflicting ideas and then having the club population vote on whose idea they like best really isn't a great reward.

If someone in a club puts in a lot of effort, and their idea is thrown away but they are "thanked" for their contribution, they may not contribute again.

But who knows. I've never run a club before. Who knows, maybe hams are a solitary bunch who don't need to be rewarded or recognized for their efforts.

8. KB7QPS

KB7QPS Ham Member QRZ Page

With regards to an article submission, there is a huge distance being the phrase "participation trophy" and writing an article for QST that is promptly thrown away.

First of all, the concept of "participation trophy" is misused. The reason why score is often not kept at youth sporting events and everyone receives a trophy is not to reward every child. The kids do indeed keep score and know who wins each game. It is because they want the parents to focus on the kids as kids, and don't want the parents to be overly focused on scoring and points. In other words, the participation trophies are there to satisfy the parents desires rather than the kids.

But in this case, I don't need a certificate or award for submitting an article to QST. I would, however, like to know that 10-15 hours of my volunteer time toward ham radio pays off. Submitting an article to an editorial board where it is promptly deleted is pointless. Submitting the same article to QRZ forums is purposeful because it is there for eons and others might benefit. My thread really isn't a complaint about the editorial process for a magazine. It's more of a comment that we live in a world where information is more freely shared and no longer under the control of an editorial board. Folks today do indeed expect others to appreciate their work even if a editorial board does not.

9. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

I think anytime there is a limited resource to allocate, you will run into this problem. That is the issue with a magazine, there is only so much space, so a lot of articles will not be chosen, even some pretty good ones. The amount of time you put into the article is really rather minimal, and it was obviously something you wanted to do, so there really is no harm or foul. That's just the way it is sometimes. You do something because you want to do it, and hope it gets chosen. If it doesn't, you can either go on to other things, or try again at the same type project.

Did you have anyone review the article for accuracy, or obvious errors? That really is a key, because what you submitted may have been pure gold in your mind, but could have been real crap to another observer. Or vice-versa.

[​IMG]

10. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

How true! I don't know ANY writer (including best selling novelists) who get paid by the hour. If this were the case, even I would be rich beyond my wildest imaginations. The fact is, for ANY writer, the vast majority of his writing hours are unpaid hours. This is why so few people do it.

KU4X and K7JEM like this.