ad: KF7PMW-1

Mag mount inside truck bed?

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by KE0YIE, Nov 11, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. KE0YIE

KE0YIE Ham Member QRZ Page

How much will it degrade my antenna performance by using a mag mount in the middle of the bed?
    I can't do a traditional NMO mount for a few reasons, mainly height/clearance problems.

Curious how much it's going to hurt performance with a decent amount of the antenna below the bed rails.

2. AC0GV

AC0GV Ham Member QRZ Page

A lot but worry first about SWR and radio damage. The longer the antenna the better it will work, keep the SWR low and you should be OK, just reduced coverage and the cab will block forward signal most.I hope it's not a new f150 or other aluminum truck.

3. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I think you would be much better off with a 19" ground plane on the bed rail. Or an antenna on the front cowl. I had similar problems when my truck carried a camper which overhung the cab. I put my antenna on the cowl with a mount coming up from the hood seam. It worked quite well.

4. AI7PM

AI7PM Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't even bother.
    Cowl mount a Laersen 2/70. It may or may not slightly touch a garage door going in and out. It's probably the best compromise to a roof mounted antenna.

N0TZU likes this.
  5. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Oops, just realized that I said cowl above when I meant fender. The antenna was mounted at the seam between the hood and fender.

AI7PM likes this.
  6. AC0GV

AC0GV Ham Member QRZ Page

Like this, not perfect but many in my area use them.
    TM710 antenna.jpg

N0TZU likes this.
  7. KE0YIE

Think I'm going to fab up an elevated mount that goes into the bed. Thinking a cross bar above the wheel wells.

8. KE0YIE

Got the antenna dialed in today. Ended up putting it on the drivers side wheel well hump. Swr checks out fine, below 1.5 across both bands edge to edge.
    Made contact with one of the further away repeaters that was located on the opposite corner of the truck if that makes sense, truck was aimed south and the repeater is ssw from where I was parked about 35 miles away with 5 watts.

N0TZU likes this.
  9. AI7PM

AI7PM Ham Member QRZ Page

What kind of antenna did you settle on?

10. KE0YIE

Just a cheap Tram dual band nmo on a 5.5” mag mount.