Macros for BARTG RTTY for Fldigi?

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KK5JY, Mar 17, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: l-gcopper
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: l-BCInc
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

Has anybody figured out how to configure macros for fldigi for the upcoming BARTG contest? I have done what the current fldigi manual says, but I can't figure out how to format a macro for repeats.

The manual says that <QSOTIME> will hold its time if run in later macros, but if I run the macro two or three times, the time sent will change if the clock time changes.

The exchange macro I'm trying to use is this:

<TX>
    <CALL> <XBEG><RST> <NXTNBR> <QSOTIME><XEND> <CALL>
    <RX>​

The expanded text might be, for example:

AB1CD 599 301 1945 AB1CD​

I can't find a way to make a "repeat" or "again" macro that will send the same text again without changing the value expanded by <QSOTIME>. If the clock rolls to 1946 before I run the above macro a second time, it will send 1946 the second time, instead of repeating the original time that was sent.

The "time on" value would be good to use instead of <QSOTIME>, but there doesn't appear to be a macro that will expand to "time on."

If anybody has macros that they have used successfully with BARTG, would you be willing to share how you did it?

Thanks!

2. ZL1ON

ZL1ON Subscriber QRZ Page

You may not have as serious of an issue as you think. If you must resend the contest exchange, that implies that the other station did not receive it completely the first time. Thus, a new time value will not matter.

Otherwise, you might consider sending the "important" fields twice, as in:

<NXTNBR> <NXTNBR> <QSOTIME> <QSOTIME>

KK5JY likes this.
  3. K7MH

K7MH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You might set it up then go to a dummy load and send it with a callsign entered and see how it goes. Just to be sure what it actually does, whether it does in fact update the time or not.
    It is always nice to be sure what will happen before you jump in and eliminate any surprises. I use MixW but usually do just that before the contest to make sure serial numbers increment like they should etc. I can remember forgetting to enter 5NN instead of 599 in the macros any number of times!

4. KK5JY

Good idea, but I did that test. It does update the time if the clock passes into a new minute. The manual says it won't, but it does.

5. K7MH

Next thing might be to ask about it on a yahoo user group for fldigi.

6. KK5JY

You are probably right... I just figured there was somebody on QRZ who was planning to work the contest this weekend with fldigi. :cool:

7. K7MH

There may be, give it a while. You still have about a day.
    Most probably use N1MM (free) and after that MixW ($). They are both designed for contesting and can do contesting related things that I don't think fldigi can although I haven't used fldigi in a long time. After the contest I just import the MixW log to my main logger.
    RTTY contests with software are almost like a ham radio computer game!

8. KK5JY

When I first read your comment, I didn't think that would work, but I guess you could read the rules [spanglefish.com] to say that it is always the current time. It really doesn't have any requirements on what timestamp is sent, as long as one is sent. ;) So like you say, if they ask for a repeat, then sending a new time should be fine.

I would like to figure out how to preserve the leading timestamp, but if nobody can show me how to do it, I will probably do what you describe.

9. K7MH

I was just setting up macros in MixW and there are a couple different times listed that can be used for them.
    In MixW the correct time to send in a contest is <CTIME> for the "contest time". For example it would be sent as 2115. There is also a time that can be sent that is more exacting such as <TIME> which would send as 21:15:59z. There was also a QSO start time that would show up much the same as <TIME> would but probably would be the time when the contact was initiated. I don't think it would change after a minute had gone by but I haven't tried it so not sure. There were a couple other timestamps for macros as well.

You might look again through all the macros that can be used to be sure there isn't something that would send a time in 4 digits more specifically to use in a contest just to be sure you didn't miss something. If there isn't anything then it just shows one of the many benefits of using software that is more designed for contesting.