MacPro Running Very Slow

Discussion in 'Mac Ham Radio on macOS & iOS' started by KS2K, Mar 3, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KS2K

KS2K Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Good Evening;
    I an having a problem with my MacPro

Specifications of what I am running;
    MacPro 2.8GHz Processor Quad Core
    32 Gigs of Memory
    2, 1Tb hard drives
    OS 10.11.6 El Capitan
    Cache 327Kb
    Cookies and Site Data 24.2 Mb
    Fire Fox 78.6.0esr
    Super Duper for Backup each nite its backed up

Problem; System running very slow compared to when I bought it. Beach Ball runs a lot, even my email is running slow. I have used 'Clean My PC 3 often. My stored cache is only 327 Kb. My Main Hard drive shows a capacity of 999.35 Gb with 862.66 Gb Free. I back up to the other 1Tb Hard drive.

When doing a back up, Super Duper shows 435,930 files it evaluates. I can not believe in any way I have near to 435,930 files. I have little to no experience in working on a problem like this, I am more an Appliance Operator on the computer. Can anyone help me to find where all these unknown files are hidden and what they are, what caused them. I 'think' they might be the cause of the running slow. Even Super Duper doing a clone backup used to complete in roughly 3 minutes. Now its typically over 6 minutes.

I want to set the MacPro up for SSTV, but need to get the slow operation fixed first. Hopefully that will
    also fix the email speed.

Thanks so much for any help
    KS2K

2. K8HIT

K8HIT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

If the hard drives are old fashioned spindle drives, upgrade to SSD.

Or buy a new Windows machine for a couple hundred dollars. You won't have to struggle with making a Mac work in a Windows world.

3. KS2K

K8HIT.
    Thanks for the reply. The hard drives are 1 year old western digital 7200 RPM.
    I have no struggle with my Mac in a Windows world. My Mac does all I want/need. I do have a Dell PC running SATPC32 and Software for NOAA 15,18,19 for the APT Birds. Thats the PC's only Job. A RPi handles GOES 16.
    KS2K

Last edited: Mar 3, 2021
  4. K8HIT

K8HIT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Most bang for the buck will be replacing those hard drives. Even if they are only 1 year olds. In Tech years, for spindle hard drives thats like 83.5 years.

Those system cleaners usually make bad decisions. Learn how to tidy things up yourself.

5. KQ8W

KQ8W XML Subscriber QRZ Page

If you open Activity Monitor, can you grab a screenshot and post it here?

SSDs are great, but if this is a sudden slowdown, it may be an indicator of something else.

6. KS2K

KQ8W
    This slow down is within the past few weeks. The drives are not the problem. As I have moved the clone Backup to Start Up drive and nothing changes, just slow
    Here attached is the Activity Monitor Screen Grab. If you direct me to a certain part of activity monitor, I can do as many screen grabs as needed. Please keep in mind that Super Duper (Back Up App) sees and evaluates 435,930 files. I dont have huge storage of Pictures or any other files. I dont understand where 435,930 files are seen each night with small changes when I do a backup. I would 'think' that many files could slow down a system ?
    KS2K Screen Shot 2021-03-03 at 11.56.53.jpg

Attached Files:

7. KQ8W

KQ8W XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't see any memory issues. Can you post the CPU tab?

As for number of files, if you're backing up the entire system, that's entirely possible to have that many. I'm counting the number of files on my system now and will report back, but that doesn't seem like a big deal at this point.

EDIT: I have 2,034,861 files on my Mac. I don't think that's an issue.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2021
  8. K3DCW

K3DCW QRZ Lifetime Member #212 Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

It is kind of a brute-force "Windows" kind of approach, but you could try doing a system restore to get a clean install and then reinstall your software.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904

9. KS2K

Will not a System Restore also loose all my stored files and revert back to a virgin
    machine ?
    ks2k

10. KS2K

Yes, I do a complete Backup to the Backup 1Tb drive so I have a Plug N Play Clone is the need arises. Ok, on the large number of files, I had no idea a back up would be so many files. Attached is the Activity Monitor CPU Tab
    KS2K Screen Shot 2021-03-03 at 12.53.50.jpg