ad: ProAudio-1

macOS Big Sur & WSJT-X Audio Stuttering

Discussion in 'Mac Ham Radio on macOS & iOS' started by KD5LPB, Nov 17, 2020.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. KD5LPB

KD5LPB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi all,

I'm trying to pinpoint the source of an audio stuttering problem I'm experiencing when using WSJT-X on Big Sur. I know, I should have waited to upgrade, and I'm kicking myself for it. When transmitting, maybe once every half hour or so, the transmit audio sputters and stutters until I end the transmission and restart it. Then, it's fine.

I'm using an IC-7300 with the SiLabs driver (which I believe actually isn't used in Big Sur as Apple provide in-house support). I don't know if this is a WSJT-X problem, or an Apple problem, but I am wondering if other people have experienced this.

Also, let this serve as a warning for those of you considering upgrading. Fldigi only displays a grey screen as of today, if that matters to you.

KC3PBI likes this.
  2. K3DCW

K3DCW QRZ Lifetime Member #212 Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

FWIW, Dave (W1HKJ) patched and released updated files for the entire FL* suite that are fully Big Sur compatible the day after Big Sur was released. The software simply needed to be compiled against a newer version of the Fast-Light ToolKit. The updated versions can be found at

http://www.w1hkj.com/bigsur/

As always, subscribing to the LinuxHam mailing list on Groups.IO is quite useful as that is the primary place for support for Fldigi on both Linux and macOS.

As far as WJST-X goes, I've not had a chance to get on the air since upgrading to Big Sur so I can't help there.

And yes, Big Sur contains and uses its own SiLabs driver now.

3. KD5LPB

KD5LPB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for the info regarding the FL suite. I've the software installed via homebrew, so it's likely already out of date.