MAC vs Linus vs WIN10

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Software' started by WN1U, Jan 4, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KDBC

KDBC QRZ Member

As you can see from 30+ replies saying the same thing, Windows can do what any other platform can, but the other platforms cannot do everything Windows can.

2. KC3TEC

KC3TEC Ham Member QRZ Page

and thats because the sith lawyers have always hammered out anti competition clauses in the contracts for any peripherals they will support.

have you ever heard how a procurement contract works?
    a big company can provide a large number of product at a deceptively low cost and many people will jump on the savings provided they sign a procurement contract.
    when you need support tool, parts, or technical assistance they rake you over the coals.
    and if you purchase support tools, technical assistance from an unauthorized source you have broken the contract and they can litigate for 10 to 1000 times the original contract cost as a punitive measure.
    and you have to pay it because you signed the contract.

now think how much many people on the news complained about the $300 dollar cheesy ball peen hammer and the $600 dollar toilet seats the navy had to pay for!
    but oh some idiot politician thought they saved a bundle when they signed the contracts.

PU2OZT likes this.
  3. N6YWU

N6YWU Ham Member QRZ Page

Can't run Windows (at least any recent version) on a (inexpensive, tiny, fanless) Raspberry Pi, or even a more expensive typical mobile phone.

KD0KZE, N0NC and PU2OZT like this.
  4. N0NC

N0NC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

[QUOTE="K1SZO, post: 5720898, member: 684519
    That said, all my servers are Linux. My desktops I no longer run Linux on. Maybe one day the community will come together and focus on one *great* desktop with one *great* audio system. Until then, Windows is just better for the desktop usage.[/QUOTE]

RedHat is working on it and pushing hard to become the Microsoft of Linux. I for one don't want that. I moved to Linux to get away from the M$ mindset, and now RH is doing their best to recreate it in Linux. systemd and pulseaudio weren't bad enough now L.P. now has produced PA's replacement Pipewire.

I run Windows 10 for ham software, and Devuan Linux for most everything else. I have been looking into BSD lately, in case I have to change my OS again.

73, Chuck
    N0NC

5. KD0KZE

KD0KZE Ham Member QRZ Page

On Linux I can compile wsjt-x, fldigi, flrig, gpredict, tqsl and other apps from source. I have more computer languages, server daemons, networking utilities, and excellent open source software available than I ever imagined on Windows. It's easy to script things and do all kinds of tricks. And it's very fast. For me, if it won't run on Linux (or Wine) I just don't run it.

I'm very glad there are companies writing software for amateur radio, and they should be properly reimbursed for their efforts. But they need to understand that amateur radio is a DIY/maker-type hobby, and many/most people in that demographic, especially younger people (read: the future), are hip to Linux. They will be increasingly missing market opportunities if they don't write for more platforms than Windows.

73, KD0KZE / Paul

PU2OZT and KF5RRF like this.
  6. KA8NCR

KA8NCR Ham Member QRZ Page

Such as?

7. NC5P

NC5P Ham Member QRZ Page

Two of my computers are dual boot. Win and Ubuntu. They came with Win of course. I run Linux for everything I can. The Dell runs it great and most everything works well. What I can't I can run Win then get out of there. Radio programming software mostly, though I found I could edit codeplugs under wine. I won't attempt to program a live radio with wine lest I end up with a doorstop. It's generally kept off the internet and still use AV software just in case. Don't want to violate politics rules but I have never liked that monopoly company nor it's founder. My wife has a Mac on the other side of this room. We get along pretty well most of the time.

KA9JLM likes this.