ad: QSKLLC-1

MAC vs Linus vs WIN10

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Software' started by WN1U, Jan 4, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: QSOToday-1
  1. N6YWU

N6YWU Ham Member QRZ Page

I have Raspberry Pi's (Raspbian Linux) and Macs (both Intel and Apple Silicon Arm), and around a half dozen different SDRs. So far the only thing I've had to borrow the use of Windows laptop for is running the firmware updater for an Airspy HF+. I also write my own SDR software so I can use my iPhone and iPad for portable ops.

KC3PBI likes this.
  2. KC3PBI

KC3PBI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Most of the Signalink problems I see are really Windows mixer configuration problems. You just don't get those on a Mac. About the only cross platform problem is a bug in the TI sound chip, it doesn't always pass audio until somebody manually bumps the level.

--

I kicked off my ham hobby with my Mac and it has been very useful.

I just built a Raspberry Pi computer. Sort of an experiment- I'm attempting linux on the desktop as an exclusive ham activity computer. I will continue to use Aether for logging on the Mac, but I'm moving everything else into the pi. So far flrig, fldigi, JS8 and WSJT are all happy there.

That DMR programming tool is still the only reason I have to get my old Windows 7 netbook down from the shelf. No plans to get rid of it but I'm not exactly scheduling a Windows 10 upgrade either.

K4WRX likes this.
  3. W4DIP

W4DIP Ham Member QRZ Page

The great "Promise of Linux" for the average person was was really hurt by -
    1) A gazillion competing Distros
    2) Not understanding this one, simple concept; "Tho Shalt Not Use The Command Line".

At this time, #2 is much better, but it's too late - they've already shot themselves in the foot.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2021
    K4WRX likes this.
  4. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I use a Mac Mini in the shack with Win10 under Parallels VM for antenna modeling with EZNEC and AutoEZ, LTSpice for circuit modeling, and a few other tools. Also RT Systems software for programming radios, and once in a while N1MM for a contest (normally I use MacLoggerDX).

5. N0NC

N0NC Ham Member QRZ Page

Some developers are attempting to standardize Linux so all distributions look and work the same. /sarcasm/ this will make writing viruses easier for the black hat guys out there. /end sarcasm/.

73,Chuck
    N0NC

PU2OZT likes this.
  6. K4WRX

K4WRX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Anyone tried Ubuntu Studio? Just installed that on VirtualBox and thinking of running as my main OS since it's got rich media features and drivers.

I've been in the same boat as everyone else. I try to go away from Windows but always end up needing it for something. In the case of a Mac, then I end up running Windows on a system with no proper DEL key which drives me nuts. Haven't tried Raspberry Pi yet but that's an option. I just prefer not to manage too many machines at home and this is coming from a guy with 25+ years of IT experience. I get to deal with enough problematic computers at work so prefer to keep my home life simplified.

7. KC3PBI

KC3PBI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I know! For me, the fully redeeming feature of Windows is that I get paid to use it, and I choose to use something else at home. At least, I've managed to keep it that way for a couple decades.

8. K4WRX

K4WRX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Good to know others out there in the same boat. The last time I had a bunch of computers at home was early in my career when I was studying for Microsoft certs.

For Linux, I also like trying different distros out time to time which keeps it exciting. I watch trends on distrowatch.com and try interesting ones but if they're not on a primary computer I'm forced to use, it will sit there and I'll never learn from it so I like to go all in. It would be good to see what people here think are the best distros and branches of Linux to run ham utils.

9. W5UAA

W5UAA Ham Member QRZ Page

Since I absolutely refuse to load up and use that spyware known as Windows 10, and because of the limited software available for Mac, and I'm about to run out of Windows 7 machines, my only option is Linux. So far, the only thing I'm missing in Linux is the macro keyer function for CW contesting (integrated into logging software). But since my interest in CW contesting is waning right now, it's not really an issue for me at this time. I'll figure something out on that eventually. But as far as I can see, all my other needs are being met with Linux.

And it looks like the Windows 7 update servers were just shut off about a week or so ago.

So, if I can't figure out how to get 'er done on Linux, I just won't do it.

Original question: what "must" you have? Depends on what you want. Just gotta try it. Jump on in! The water's fine!

KD0KZE and K4WRX like this.
  10. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

You must be using the small "Magic" keyboard. To get delete I've become adept at using FN+DELETE on that keyboard and don't even think about it now.

On the main house Mac I changed to a full size (wired) numeric keyboard that does have the true delete key. I don't do that in the shack because I'm always moving the keyboard around so the small and wireless keyboard is ideal.