Mac OSX 10.9.5: Fldigi crashes

Discussion in 'OS: Mac OS' started by DM3BC, May 9, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-gcopper
ad: L-rfparts
  1. DM3BC

DM3BC Ham Member QRZ Page

I run Fldigi on Linux and Windoz platforms without any problems. I have tried it on my Macbook Pro (vintage 2008) running Mavericks (OSX 10.9.5) and observe that the application crashes very frequently on transmitting. I am using the version 3.23.19 in combinaton with the flrig version 1.3.30. Newer versions do not alleviate the problem. My rig is an Icom IC-7200. Current rig settings cause no problems on my Linux or Windoz platforms. There is no RFI in my shack (I tested).

I have managed to port almost all my ham radio apps to my Macbook running OSX, which is my new field laptop. I don't do windozs, and I don't want to get into installing Ubuntu on my Macbook so that I can run one or the other application.

I do have a Windows XP on my aforesaid Macbook Pro running under Bootcamp. Fldigi and Flrig perform exceptionally well in this OS/hardware environment. Like I said, I want to kick the Windoz habit and want to delete this OS from my laptop.

So, does anybody out there in radio land have an idea for me how to stabilze Fldigi under Mac OSX?

2. DM3BC

I did forget to mention that I have a crash report that OSX generates and sends to Apple. But I don't expect a solution from Apple. I did take a series of screen shots of this very long report. In the first screen shot the report points to a crash in thread 9. See screen shots 1 and 2 in attachment.

Attached Files:

3. K3DCW

K3DCW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

v3.23.19 is very old and out-of-date!

I would recommend that you join the LinuxHams list on Groups.IO: it is for Fldigi support on Linux AND macOS/OS X, but their first piece of advice will be to download the latest version. There have been some MAJOR changes between v3.23.19 and the current 4.0.x series of Fldigi. However, the developers there can likely tell you exactly what the issue is based upon the crash reports.

4. DM3BC

Didn't find LinuxHams on Groups.IO. I have the same problem using the 4.0.3 ver of Fldigi on MAC OSX. I think I have found out that this problem occurs when I use Flrig 1.3.30 and older versions to control Fldigi. If I run Fldigi alone, ie without Flrig, then the application does not crash. So something is going on - or not - between the two applciations under Mac OSX. Btw, I use the same settings for Fldigi and Flrig on my other two platforms, even the same hardware in the case of the Macbook, Ubuntu-Linux and Windoz XP and Windoz 7. If you could help me pass this information on to the developers I would appreciate it, and they would too.

73's
    David DM3BC

5. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Operator error by KA9JLM

Last edited: May 10, 2017
  6. WV8A

WV8A Ham Member QRZ Page

While this does not solve your problems, I'll state that I have run versions of fldigi on the past few generations of macOS for the past four years or more, pretty much without any software issues. Started using flrig more recently, with FT-897D, also without problems. MacBookPro 15" Late 2011, macOS 10.12.4. The current combo of flrig/fldigi does require a few settings be made properly. Assume you have sufficient RAM and HD/SSD in good condition.
    BTW LinuxHam (singular), the support group, which migrated from Yahoo!Groups a few months ago, is at
    https://groups.io/g/linuxham/
    Frequently Dave W1HKJ answers questions directly, or one of the other developers will take up an issue.
    Binaries and user docs at Sourceforge https://sourceforge.net/projects/fldigi/files/
    Good luck troubleshooting, 73.

Chuck
    WV8A

7. N2CJN

N2CJN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

FLDIGI 4.04 works fine on my Macbook Pro (OS X 10.11.6) but crashes immediately after startup with both 4.05 and 4.06.

Brent
    N2CJN

8. N2CJN

Console:
    6/25/17 7:33:16.730 PM fldigi[23914]: 19:33:16.730 WARNING: 140: This application, or a library it uses, is using the deprecated Carbon Component Manager for hosting Audio Units. Support for this will be removed in a future release. Also, this makes the host incompatible with version 3 audio units. Please transition to the API's in AudioComponent.h.
    6/25/17 7:33:18.098 PM com.apple.xpc.launchd[1]: (com.w1hkj.fldigi.415392[23914]) Service exited with abnormal code: 139

9. K3DCW

K3DCW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

On macOS/OS X, most cases where Fldigi suddenly stops working or crashes immediately are related to corrupted preference files.

From the terminal, do the following:

(Feel free to cut and paste these into the terminal if you’re not comfortable working from the terminal. Do NOT forget the “.” Right before the word fldigi in the line starting with cd)

cd .fldigi

mv fldigi_def.xml fldigi_def.old

mv fldigi.prefs fldigi.prefs.old

Now, restart Fldigi and the setup wizard should pop up. Set everything up again and you should be good to go.

I know that some people also make a backup of a known-good preferences setup and save it for quick restoration. You basically do the same as above, but save the known good preferences as
    something like

fldigi_def.good
    fldigi.prefs.good

The deprecated Carbon Component error is a portAudio error, not an Fldigi one. It has nothing to do with your crash. The next line is simply the Fldigi crash.

Do you have Fldigi configured to talk to MLDX? I've seen Fldigi crash here on my machine when configured to talk to MLDX via UDP; both v4.0.5 and v4.0.6 and I've seen another report of it on the official Fldigi support mailing list as well.

N2CJN likes this.
  10. N2CJN

That seems to have worked. Thanks. (and yes...I did have fldigi listening to the udp stream from mldx)