ad: K6IOK-1

Mac OS question

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Software' started by AE8RO, Nov 26, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. AE8RO

AE8RO Ham Member QRZ Page

I am thinking of going over to the dark side with a Mac. Is there any ham radio software that will run on a Mac?

2. AI6AK

AI6AK Ham Member QRZ Page

There are some but not as many as for Windows machines. I love my Mac for my daily activities but use a cheap Dell laptop with Windows 10 for my ham stuff. I've found it just a bit easier to set-up and use.

3. KC9YGN

KC9YGN Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Sure there is. FLDIGI works quite well and there are several good logging programs. Run some searches on Google and you'll turn up a lot of stuff.

4. K3DCW

K3DCW QRZ Lifetime Member #212 Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

There is a lot of great ham radio software for Mac OS. Windows may have more, but don't confuse quantity with quality. Check out www.machamradio.com for links, news, and more.

5. K3DCW

6. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

After decades on PC I went Mac and don’t regret it for a second.

I use MacloggerDX for most logging, and as others have noted there are digital mode programs available (I don’t yet do digital modes).

I use a Virtual Machine on the Mac to run Win10 (in a window - ha) for a few things that aren’t available on the Mac, which is mostly antenna modeling, Spice circuit modeling, and a very efficient contest logger on the rare occasions that I contest.

The cool thing about using a VM instead of a separate Windows computer is that I can share the file system so it’s seamless to move data or copy/paste from Mac to PC or vice versa, and my backups are likewise seamless. And of course I don’t need another computer, mouse, keyboard, and display taking up space in the shack.

I use the built-in Mac programs for many office-like needs, but also use the open source Libre Office which is outstanding. Both are very good at being compatible with MS Office files.

N1WTT likes this.
  7. K3DCW

Amen!

RUMlogNG has a dedicated contest mode that is very good. Also, SkookumLogger is quite good as a dedicated contest logger. There is nothing from N1MM+ that SkookumLogger doesn't offer, at least for the casual and semi-serious contester.

Dave

8. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for this information, I will look into those. (I was using N1MM because it already had support for my state QSO party and was very fast to use for contesting.)

9. AE8RO

AE8RO Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks guys. I really haven't decided yet. I may try VM on Windows to run Mac OS or heaven forbid try my hand at a Hackintosh.