ad: UR5CDX-1

M1 chip and WSJT X

Discussion in 'Mac Ham Radio on macOS & iOS' started by N2AE, Sep 21, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-2
  1. N2AE

N2AE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

My Mac Mini is getting a little long in the tooth and I'm thinking of upgrading to the new Mini with the M1 chip. I understand that there are/were some issues with WSJT X and the M1 chip. Comments please......

vy 73
    Jan
    N2AE

2. N6YWU

N6YWU Ham Member QRZ Page

I am not using the WSJT X GUI, but I am running the wsjtx jt9 FT8/FT4 decoder, wsprd decoder, and ft8code encoder (bundled inside the wsjtx.app) on my M1 MacBook, and they work great.

I also have another open source ft8 decoder and encoder running on my iPhone 12 Mini for portable ops.

N2IW likes this.
  3. N2IW

N2IW Ham Member QRZ Page

I tried a few days ago, that WSJT-X won't run on my new M1 Mac mini. This should be easy fix, developer just need to recompile it on a M1 Mac. I don't use FT8 anyway, so I don't mind wait.

4. K3DCW

K3DCW QRZ Lifetime Member #212 Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I'm not active at present, but in early July when I was last on the air WSJT-X ran just fine on my M1 Mac. There were a couple of things that had to be done a bit differently than with Intel-Macs, if I remember correctly, but they were detailed in the Readme file included with the DMG download.

5. IK0ZSN

IK0ZSN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I've been running JTDX with no problems on my mini M1 for a couple months now. I personally prefer it to WSJT-X.

6. N2IW

N2IW Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the reminder, I forgot to do that step and automatically assume WSJT-X was not compatible with M1, actually that's the first Mac software I found that are "not compatible" with M1. After the putting the .plist file /Library/LaunchDaemons and reboot. Everything is working fine now!

7. PA0FBR

PA0FBR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Works like a charm overhere with my Macbook Pro and M1 chip