M0DMB New Scam

Discussion in 'Stolen Radios, Scams and Rip-Offs' started by KE6PJD, Mar 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. KE6PJD

KE6PJD Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello,
    My name is Carol, i saw your wanted ad on the ham site and i want to
    inform you that i have it for sale. Get back to me if still
    interested.

M0DMB
    Carol Simpson
    6 Dalton Close
    DRIFFIELD, YO25 6YE
    England

2. ZS1X

ZS1X Ham Member QRZ Page

I had the same person trying to sell me an HF radio.
    Funny thing is that this scammer is using Carol's address for the Western Union transfers.
    I wonder if Carol is perhaps silent key......

73's
    Dirk Lotz
    ZS1X

3. KB9HGI

KB9HGI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Sure is alot of scams on QRZ. I don't think I will be buying or selling anything on here. i have read too much people getting ripped off.

4. AD6KA

AD6KA Ham Member QRZ Page

IT's not just QRZ, it's everywhere. EHam, QTH, Craig's List, etc.
    It's the nature of the Internet, the state of the worldwide economy,
    and the fact that in some societies scamming "Westerners" is not
    really considered immoral. Just the opposite, the successful scammers are perceived
    to be clever and are to be admired. (They have cars, houses, TV's, women, drugs, etc).

But if you use some common sense and follow basic precautions and rules
    you really have little to worry about. If it sounds too good to be true, it is.
    If ANYTHING about the deal appears the SLIGHTEST bit hinky to you, don't do it.
    Do your research on the name, the callsign, and especially do an IP Address trace on the email.
    IMPORTANT: Then GOOGLE that IP Address!

You may be shocked at what you find out.
    Arrange a C.O.D. shipment if possible, a local ham to go over and look at the gear,
    or have the ham take it to a reputable shop for appraisal.
    Do NOT take Western Union.
    Do NOT ship overseas to someone you do not know personally.
    If shipping a high dollar item overseas (i.e. new transceiver) consider
    lodging it as frienght on an airline instead of a parcel with FedEx, DHL, UPS, etc.
    You may save some money and gain peace of mind. OTOH, you might
    have to invest in or borrow a Pelican case or lease a shipping crate for this.

Wait for ANY financial draft (check, money order, etc) to be "PAID", NOT just "CLEARED"
    before you ship, and tell that to the seller.

If you don't know the difference between a check being "paid" and a check being "cleared", call your bank. If the bank rep tells you that "Cleared" and "Paid" mean the same thing, they are dead wrong, and a BUFFOON! Demand to speak to a higher up until it IS explained to you! Check forgers, kiters and scammers RELY on folks NOT knowing the difference between these two banking terms.

An honest seller should have no compunction against or objection to any of these methods.

5. HS0ZIB

HS0ZIB Guest

Look out for the magic words 'get back to me'

If the email has this phrase in it, then it is almost guaranteed to be a scam.

Don't believe me? This phrase crops up time and time again in scam emails that I receive, both concerning money transfers, electronic equipments and advance bookings for the hotels that I own

Be careful - it's a jungle out there :)

Simon

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.