LSB or USB?

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by AG6HO, Jan 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. AG6HO

AG6HO Ham Member QRZ Page

I recently updated my equipment to give me access to 40M and 80m. I cannot remeber to rule for using LSB vs USB. Can someone help?

2. AC0FP

AC0FP Ham Member QRZ Page

Use LSB on 40 meters and other lower frequencies. The higher frequencies, 20 meters and above, use USB.

fp :)

3. K9STH

K9STH Ham Member QRZ Page

LSB on 160, 75, and 40 meters. USB on all higher frequency bands.

There are some groups on the LSB bands that are using surplus military equipment that has USB only. But, those are very specialized groups. Nothing illegal about using the opposite sideband, but convention is as stated.

You definitely have to consider the bandwidth of your signal and keep far enough away from the band edges to keep your transmitted signal within the band. That generally means to keep around 3 kHz above the lower segment frequency when running LSB and around 3 kHz below the upper segment frequency when running USB. This is on the indicated frequency on the dial. There are transmitters than do have less bandwidth and that can operate a little less from the band edges. But, keeping around 3 kHz away gives a little bit of safety from going outside of the band.

Glen, K9STH

4. KD0CAC

KD0CAC Ham Member QRZ Page

Channelized 60m is recommenced USB also .

5. AB1OD

AB1OD Guest

I think the word you're looking for is "mandated".

60m = only 5 channels, only USB, only phone, and only power equivalent to 50w dipole.

6. KD0CAC

KD0CAC Ham Member QRZ Page

60m is mandated on specific frequencies making it channelized , but like the rest of the ham bands , the mode is convention not mandated I was thinking .
    It could be that because of 60m being on specific frequencies , that only 60m the mode is mandated , that I am not sure of , but does make sense .

7. AG6HO

AG6HO Ham Member QRZ Page

thanks for the info. Time to dust out the rusty info. 73

8. W7CDX

W7CDX Ham Member QRZ Page

From Extra Class Question Pool:

E1A08

What is the only emission type permitted to be transmitted on the 60 meter band by an amateur station?

Correct Answer:

Single sideband, upper sideband only [97.303]

9. W5RKL

W5RKL Ham Member QRZ Page

USB suppressed carrier is the ONLY authorized mode for 60 meters. The authorized frequencies for 60 meters are 5330.5Khz, 5346.5Khz, 5366.5Khz, 5371.5Khz, 5403.5Khz with a maximum authorized band width of 2.8Khz, centered around each 60 meter frequency. The maximum authorized power output on 60 meter is 50 watt PEP.

73s
    Mike

10. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

It's actually 50 watts ERP.:)

50W PEP wouldn't be so bad, but the ERP limit is really restrictive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.