ad: elecraft

Low Loss PWRGate failure, looking to replace

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by VE3KNT, Oct 18, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. VE3KNT

VE3KNT Ham Member QRZ Page

I've had a "Low Loss PWRGate" (the one in the clear blue plastic case) for a few years now. I haven't been using my radio much lately due to my health... I just haven't felt like it. And just checked the voltmeter on my deep cycle (almost new) 32Ah AGM battery to see it was way low at 12.4volts. so I put an amp meter between the battery and the LL PWRGate and was not happy to see even with my only connect radio (FT450) off, the Power gate was leaking power back in to my turned off power supply. I tried emailing the maker of the LLPWRGate a few months ago when I was suspecting it wasn't charging right but go no reply, so there's no help there.

I don't know if it was always like this or just gone bad, either way I want to replace it. The West Mountain Radio PWRGate seems to be the king of automatic switch/chargers, but kind of pricey on a disability income. So I'm open to more affordable suggestions????