ad: M2Ant-1

Low Loss PWRgate by KI0BK

Discussion in 'Ham Made Gear' started by KI0BK, Jan 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. KI0BK

KI0BK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

A PWRgate is a simple backup power system, it will allow communications equipment to remain operative on battery power during AC power blackouts. Power supplies and batteries can be swapped out while the equipment remains on with no glitches.

The Low Loss PWRgate by KI0BK uses MOSFET power transistors to switch the load between power sources with less then a 20 milivolt drop, much smaller then similar systems that use Schottky diodes. This keeps the power losses to a minimum.

The Low Loss PWRgate transfers up to 25 amperes at up to 16 volts dc continuously. It is a safe way to connect both a 12 volt battery and a 13.8 volt power supply to a load, while electrically isolating both from each other. Whenever your power supply is on, the supply feeds the load while also charging the battery, keeping the battery healthy and ready for use when the power supply is off or looses AC power. Switching is instantaneous.

Full money back if not satisfied.
    http://ki0bk.no-ip.com/~PWRgate/LLPG/
    73 Jim KI0BK

2. KI0BK

Sorry I forgot to add the list price of $49, much more affordable then the other guys and they can be ordered on-line on the web site. Check the progress of the project in the blog along with some useful tips too.
    73 Jim KI0BK

3. KZ9G

KZ9G Ham Member QRZ Page

Do you plan on offering a higher current model? Something in the 40 to 50 Amp range?

4. KI0BK

Check out my answer to this question on the website blog on this topic.
    http://ki0bk.no-ip.com/~pwrgate/LLPG click the blog tab at top of the page.
    thanks for the question
    73 jim KI0BK

5. KD4E

KD4E Ham Member QRZ Page

Can you make one without the PowerPoles?

Binding posts that can handle at least #12 stranded would be good.

Thanks! & 73, KD4E

6. W8DU

W8DU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

What is the switching time to go from AC power source to DC power source upon loss of AC power?

7. KI0BK

I'll look into it, thanks for the suggestion.
    Drop me any email via my QRZ address, I may have a possible solution.
    73 jim ki0bk

8. KI0BK

Switching time.... according to the powerpath data sheet, somewhere between 20-40 microseconds.
    The P-channel FETs form an OR power path, when the power supply voltage drops only 20 milivolts below the battery, the switching begins. For all intents and purposes, instantaneously! Hope that answers your question, email me if you need more info.
    73 Jim

9. KI0BK

"I hate powerpoles" I hear this sometimes, and I can understand their point of view, considering the cost and the difficulty assembling the connectors. So I have decided to offer pre-assembled jumper cables, with a powerpole on one end, to mate with the LLPG and either ring terminals or spade lugs on the other. Perfect for connecting your power supply, gel cell or adapting to some other connector system. Watch the blog page at http://ki0bk.no-ip.com/~pwrgate/LLPG for the announcement of when they are available to order online. Soon. 73 KI0BK jim

10. KI0BK

We've add two jumpers to our list of products, one for gel cells with powerpoles to female spade lugs, the other one for power supplies or batteries with screw terminals, powerpoles to ring terminals w/ in-line fuse holder.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.