ad: k1jek

Low loss coax

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by KC9QJV, Nov 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-Geochron
ad: HRDLLC-2
  1. KC9QJV

KC9QJV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Alright well my 10m dipole is already connected with rg-8x I was looking at the hardlines last night but can only find them with N connectors I'm guessing i would need some kind of adapter to make that connect as everything i have uses pl connecters

2. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

Since they're not weatherproof, just make sure you protect the UHF (aka PL259) connectors from the elements. You don't want water getting into the connectors (and then into the coax).
    Bryan WA7PRC

3. K3ROJ

K3ROJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Use Cable made for Cable TV

If you live near a city or have freinds working for the cable company, look for some RG11DB which is impregnated with some sticky material for great water proofing and is made for direct burial. I found the braid to be aluminum but by tightly screwing on PL259 connectors, it does work well. If your runs are short, consider RG6 which is used for drop lines from the telephone pole. By talking to a cable guy, he can put weather proofed connector on for you and then use adapters to go to UHF or whatever. For permanent burial runs, hardline is becoming available, especially where fiber optics are taking it's place. Never mind the 75 ohm impedance since you will never notice a difference.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.