ad: Mountaingoat-1

Low DX propagation, saving the whales

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W0PV, Jan 17, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Highly likely, given that strandings are infrequent and days with high solar activity aren’t all that common over a solar cycle. So it’s comparing two sparse and erratic data sets and the uncertainties will be large. However, I must admit that I wasn’t even interested enough to get their paper to read.

2. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

A company was going to put a hazmat waste storage facility 1 mile from my house. At a meeting with the company and local government, I could not get a chance to speak because of the nuts talking. One woman told of HV power lines running near her home making her dog glow at night. I ended up by calling the CEO of the company and calmly discussed the issue. He had been told nobody was living near the location. We had a pleasant conversation about our kids going to college and a common interest in golf. He shut the project down 2 days later.

3. NX1Q

NX1Q XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I wish my dog would glow...then he would be useful for something !

WQ4G, K0PV/SK2023 and F8WBD like this.
  4. W8AAZ

W8AAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Tell you what. How about a correlation between few or no sunspots and loss of interest in ham radio. At least on HF. See if ARRL has membership charts and make an overlay of the sun cycle. That could be sold as solar effects on mammal behavior, right?

WQ4G and W1YW like this.
  5. G3SEA

G3SEA Ham Member QRZ Page

If this data is proved corrct what are we supposed to do abou it or can do about it ? :cool:

G3SEA/KH6

6. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Have the DEATH STAR point at the Sun and stop its rotation;-)

G3SEA likes this.
  7. W4HM

W4HM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I blame anthropogenic climate change. The unwise artificial heating of earths atmosphere is causing earths magnetic field to strengthen and push on the suns magnetic field, causing the sun to break out in sunspots and solar flares and geomagnetic storms. It's kind of like squeezing a tube of toothpaste.

If we throw enough money at the problem they might come up with a fix.:rolleyes::D

Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
    W1YW likes this.
  8. W4HM

W4HM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Not to mention comets.:eek:

W1YW likes this.
  9. VA7UO

VA7UO Ham Member QRZ Page

One of our main jobs is supplying radio communications to several major fish farm salmon producers here in B.C. During periods of solar activity I/we have never seen unusual behavior in whales from Orcas to Humpbacks. Some of our fly outs by helicopter takes us up to Klemtu way north of Vancouver Island and have noticed many Humpbacks just cruising along. There are areas that have a lot of RF in and around the sites.
    There may be science to some of this however you can make what you want from just about anything.

N0TZU likes this.
  10. K6VOX

K6VOX Ham Member QRZ Page

I think its the plastic straw ban out here in Cali........( makes fresh bowl of popcorn)

W1YW likes this.
  11. VK2MS

VK2MS Ham Member QRZ Page

There's no precautionary principle extended when governments and organisations run up their secret electronics.
    and not so secret. Included in that comment are satellites, airplane communication, radar, undersea communications,
    electric motor generated signals, appliance remotes and the big question "HAARP" which may have USA responsible for
    'climate change'. We are the curse on this planet. Nothing we do has ever been or is good for it or anything of it. If
    we are possibly leading Dolphins and Whales to their doom then impartial research should be undertaken to the point
    of certainty. The mucking around by climate deniers and climate proponents has gone on far too long, to the point
    where it is obvious nature is in revolt around the world. If we didn't love our children or suffer greed we'd just let
    ourselves die out but as we will not do that voluntarily then get off your backsides and set about fixing the problems
    instead of taking sides and big-noting yourselves, particularly those who think that climate change denial (by us)
    makes them seem intelligent and important. You are the problem. You give the greedy, the globalisation evil-doers
    and the politicians the excuse to do sfa.

12. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

It really ticks me off when HAMS indulge in RF conspiracy nonsense.

HAARP...climate change! Absolute BS.

HAARP --was-- a research ionospheric heating facility(parts have been reconstructed and are back in use). It was based on a clever wideband antenna design by Jim, WA3FET. He got the patent for it.

In fact, he was awarded the Sarnoff Citation in no small way for that antenna.

HAARP had NOTHING to do with anything related to RF weaponry. Just bona fide research.

Hot air is more related to climate change...that's what conspiracy theories spew...

Sheesh!!

Last edited: Feb 4, 2020
    W4HM and N0TZU like this.
  13. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The whales are causing warming. I saw it in Facebook on the internet so it must be true. o_O

W1YW likes this.
  14. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

EXONERATE the whales!....

No.... ACQUIT the whales!

No.... TEAR UP the whales!

IN-beach-MENT is forever......

And if you don't think THAT pun is funny...you are beyond hope ;-)

[​IMG]

15. K8TE

K8TE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Perhaps simple logic could apply to this and other "phenomena?" However, then funding might dry up and put these "scientists" back into their parents' basements.

73, Bill, K8TE