Low Bands getting difficult

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation - AM Fans' started by KX5JT, Apr 18, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. KX5JT

KX5JT Ham Member QRZ Page

More often than not I'm getting s9 + grind from storm static and lightning crashes.... it is making for some very difficult copy even with the usual strong strappers. Occasionally there is a quiet night but they are getting farther and fewer between I've noticed.

40 meters is becoming more attractive for overnight AM.

2. KA4KOE

KA4KOE Ham Member QRZ Page

Ya' think, Skippy?? :)

3. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

"Spring". It happens every year. :)

4. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

5. KX5JT

KX5JT Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes inevitably we are creatures of habit. We still try. Last night Don, Timmy and Deano were in there on 3.885 and I threw in a brief hello but it was really painful. It was the first time I can remember Don only being copyable at less than 80% so I knew that was going not be a long QSO for me. Deano has a new amp is doing much better than before but it was still about 75% and Timmy up in Maine... well... I knew it was him and maybe even heard some words out in the clear, but it certainly wasn't going to be a "learn something from Timmy's dissertations" type night.

Occasionally we still get some nights with low enough static but 20 over S9 grind is not fun.

40 works but it's a fickle creature. Sometimes Don, although several states out, is not heard but I west and east coast are. It's definitely time to start on projects more and operate at the whim of old Mother Nature.

6. K4KYV

K4KYV Subscriber QRZ Page