Loving 12 Meters

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by N4UP, Oct 5, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. N4UP

N4UP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

In anticipation of the sunspot minimum, I installed a couple of long beverage RX antennas and two big low-band verticals, a DX Engineering Thunderbolt for Vertical 160 meters and a DX Engineering Thunderbolt Vertical for 80 and 40 meters. They work very well.

But my favorite band remains 12 meters and every now and then I "go up there" to see if anything is happening. Today I called CQ on 12 meters FT8 and nothing. Then raised the power a bit and registered two hits on PSK Reporter, one in Wisconsin and the other in Texas. That told me I might be able to make some contacts. 40 minutes later I had worked 17 stations, one in Wisconsin and 16 in South America.

12 meters was so perky the South Americans were working NA and EU like there was no tomorrow. I have now worked every station in Brazil. Well, maybe not, but it sure seems like it.

PY2RAF, KP4SX and K3XR like this.
  2. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey wow! I'm glad you stirred up some action on 12m.

How much power, and what kind of antenna? Thanks.

3. N4UP

N4UP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, the South Americans were already having fun up there, so I figured we should have some too. I love working Europe in the mornings and South America in the afternoons. But here this opening lasted much longer than usual. Yesterday, I ended up with 27 contacts on 12 meters before dinner.

For 12 meters I use a 10-element Tennedyne LPDA at 73 feet. For FT8 I usually start at 20 watts and check the PSK Reporter to see if that works. If I see high levels I reduce to 15 watts or even 10 watts. If I see nothing I keep going up by modest increments until I see results.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2019