Love 'em or hate 'em...Baofengs are going up in price due to tariffs...

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K7JOE, Jul 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: l-assoc
  1. VK4FFAB

VK4FFAB Subscriber QRZ Page

Kudos OM you win the internet. LOL

2. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

you can't prove that anymore than you can prove (or disprove) "most" people dislike Boefengs, one of which I have so your 'smoke and mirrors' declaration that "it's accurate" is only transparent and biased opinion. The difference here is that typically when someone express an opinion, they acknowledge it is just that, an opinion.

3. N4QX

N4QX Ham Member QRZ Page

Um, a cursory check of the QST archives shows that the first end-fed antenna article (an entry in "Hints and Kinks") was written by Bill Reeder, W2HLX, in the September 1936 issue.

4. K7JOE

K7JOE Ham Member QRZ Page

It's really easy - quit clicking and responding to them, Dave....simple isn't it ? As an extra, you should know about the ignore feature.. It's in the ARRL handbook - right after the chapter on "yellow versus orange safety vests, which works better as a hamfest when directing traffic".....

5. K7JOE

Transceiver.... that's the technical term.... go re-search the link.

6. K7JOE

We even have guys using the 10-signals on the repeaters now days... can't wait til they get rid of the license all together as a way to shore up the ranks of hams to stop the Part 5 experimental license encroachment....

KA4DPO likes this.
  7. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Is so!

8. K7JOE

Yes, those were called marconi's and they were used a few decades before coax cable was invented...they actually worked. This 9:1 matching transformer silliness is the new advent of hamdom...along with SWR grease and ionization spray... and gotham verticals for you older hams...

9. K9STH

K9STH Ham Member Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

JOE:

One must be very careful when making comments like in your post that started this thread.

There are a number of persons holding Amateur Extra Class licenses, myself included, who definitely did not come from the "CB world", who have been licensed for decades, who do own Baofeng and other Chinese handheld units. I am working on my 60th year as an amateur radio operator (my Novice Class license is dated 15 May 1959) and I do have a UV-5REplus and a UV-82 (the version with the 1.25-meter band).

I am also very familiar with commercial two-way FM handheld units, especially those made by Motorola, having established, and then managed, the very first Motorola owned portable / pager repair facility away from the Schamburg, Illinois, plant in 1966 my senior year at Georgia Tech. Then, almost 10-years owning the Motorola reconditioned equipment center for the south-central United States (located in Plano, Texas, a Dallas suburb). When the Motorola HT-220 was the latest, and greatest, handheld, for 2-meters I had an H33FFN-3190A which was the 5-watt, 4-channel, "Private Line" (CTCSS) version.

Now, the Motorola HT-200, NOT the HT-220, was, by far, the most robust portable ever made. They definitely fit their nickname of "the brick" for a number of reasons. As far as I know, no other handheld, prior or after, could take the abuse that the HT-200 could take. The HT-220 was smaller and the case was not as strong as the HT-200 but was still stronger than most handheld units sold today. The HT-220 units started at around $600 and the version that I had cost over $700 which equates to right at $4500 today.

In terms of features and basic performance, both of my Baofeng units are light-years ahead of my Motorola HT-220 and yet, in 2018 dollars, cost less than 1% of what the HT-220 cost! In addition, the Baofeng units are just as robust as were the HT-220 units.

For the very first amateur radio unit to be owned by a newcomer, I really do not recommend this to be any handheld unit no matter what company made the equipment. In general, the effective range of a handheld is limited and contacts are usually limited to those made using relatively nearby repeaters. Of course, those amateur radio operators who are in urban locations, where there are a number of repeaters in place, do have an advantage over those operators who live in areas that do not have many repeaters. Someone living in the Los Angeles area is definitely better off than someone living in Pecos, Texas!

As for the implementation of tariffs: There have been a LOT of tariffs, often very high tariffs, that have been put on things exported from the United States, in place for decades by other countries.

Glen, K9STH

W2AI, WD4IGX and N2EY like this.
  10. N2EY

N2EY Ham Member QRZ Page

It most certainly is not!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.